Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   AVM Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My daughters leg (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=1512)

my4kids0044 07-29-2005 02:24 PM

My daughters leg

Okay, so I know that Jacklynn, who will be four in September,* will have growing pains, and I know that that is normal.* But almost every night she will wake up and come downstairs and tell us that her leg hurts.* Now her VM starts on her chest and continues on down her leg to almost half way to her knee now.* Could her VM be causing this pain, or should I just contribute it to normal growing pains?* This has been going on for about 6 mths on and off.* TIA....

Martha & Jackie

juliemn 08-02-2005 06:30 AM

Re: My daughters leg

Hi again Martha!

Unfortunately, I think that this could be either of those things. I don't have any vascular malformations, but I grew up with horrible leg pains. My middle son has the same problem. Ben, who has several vascular malformations in his legs doesn't ever complain of leg pain. Go figure.

I do have a trick to make it stop. If it is just growing pains, usually a hot bath with stop the pain while the tylenol kicks in. Works instantly for my son (I've run many baths in the middle of the night). Another thing is a heating pad, hot towels from the dryer, and this sounds wierd...but Sam will ask me to sit on his legs while we wait for the medicine to kick in (if we don't have access to a hot bath which is my first choice).

If these trick don't work....maybe you should investigate whether or not it's related to the venous malformation. Or investigate anyway for piece of mind. :)

HTH
Julie
(mom to Ben)

KristieinStMarysGA 08-02-2005 01:23 PM

Hi Martha

My name is Kristie and I have a VM throughout my left arm (elbow/forearm) I think I might have replied to your post on the MSN group. But anyway I find that my VM hurts alot at night, it's a radiating pain, it just aches and throbs and gets swollen. It get's worse when I am due for the "monthly visitor".Hopefully Jacklynn's VM will be taken care off before puberty.

HTH

Kristie

my4kids0044 08-02-2005 02:24 PM

Thank you Kristie and Julie! Hopefully it will be cleared up, but at the rate weare going I don't think that's going to be possible.

Julie, thanks for the tips, I will definatly try that next time she wakes up. It has been like every night for the last two weeks. I am getting worried now...

juliemn 08-03-2005 04:55 AM

Every night does seem a bit much. I think I would ask the doctor at that point. I hope it's just a growth spurt.

Julie

KristieinStMarysGA 08-03-2005 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my4kids0044
Thank you Kristie and Julie!* Hopefully it will be cleared up, but at the rate weare going I don't think that's going to be possible.*

Julie, thanks for the tips, I will definatly try that next time she wakes up.* It has been like every night for the last two weeks. I am getting worried now...

Has she had any treatment yet? The good thing is you already know what you are dealing with at 4, I went undiagnosed until just 7 months ago and I have been dealing with problems since I was 12 and I am now 26.

Kristie

sqgiardino 06-04-2010 02:55 AM

hi, i just would like to add, that a cold bath/compress helps with the swelling/pain