Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can anyone recommend a good makeup to cover up PWS?? (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=1545)

Rosie 08-16-2005 04:33 AM

Can anyone recommend a good makeup to cover up PWS??

I am looking for a good make up that won't rub off to put on Samuel PWS. He is really starting to become annoyed with people asking him about it. He asked me the other day why they have to be so nosy!

Thanks,

Rosie

imported_missy 08-16-2005 11:46 AM

Re: Can anyone recommend a good makeup to cover up PWS??

We have a list here somewhere:

http://www.birthmark.org/cosmetic.php

Depends, too, on where the birthmark is and the age of Samuel. You'll have to try and see which brand works the best on him, etc.

Let us know what you find out!

Missy

Rosie 08-16-2005 01:08 PM

Thanks Missy,
I put some of my make up on him last night and he was so excited that his PWS was gone. It is on his face, above his lip and on his cheek. I am going to take him to JC Pennys. They sell Derma blend and have them find the right color for him.

imported_missy 08-16-2005 04:33 PM

I went to the local Penney's for some derma blend as well. They did help me find the right shade for my face (I have rosacea, not a PWS). However, even as an adult, I found it a pain having to apply the makeup AND the powder.

Maybe take him around to some other makeup counters too and see if you can find something that matches really well and won't be too much for him to wear (like, no setting powder).

On the other hand, I came home and put that derma blend all over my face! When I looked back up, my lips were gone!!!! That stuff will cover up anything!

:)

Missy

anti 08-25-2005 10:23 AM

I have tried different brants of make up on my pws wich is on the most part of my face, lips and neck. The best one, which I'm using the last 5 years, is the one of Estee Lauder called "maximum cover". There are different shades of this make up. I use the 'medium' one. Depents on the skin colour.

I can imagine how your child feels since I myself had to go through this. People are always curious when it comes to these matters. I remember that I became 13 to cover it up with make up. At early age I used to get very upset and cry when people kept asking me about my pws. But with time, and with great support from my parents and brother I realised that I am only as natural as anyone else. I became used to people asking me and most of the times I didn't even bother to answer. The way people stare at you and the way the ask you"what is that on your face", or "did you burn your self" and all these kind of questions are really annoying when you are a child. By growing up a person with a pws (speaking from my experience) becomes a very strong character and a very indipending person.

do try this make up and you will see from yourself that it actually works.
I hope all the best for your child.

anti

imported_missy 08-25-2005 11:18 AM

Anti,

Thank you! I love Estee Lauder makeup, usually. When I was first diagnosed with rosacea, it was one of the few brands recommended that wouldn't cause an additional irritation to my very sinsitive skin.

Do you find that it lasts a long time?

Missy

hollybee 08-26-2005 08:06 PM

Hi..i'm new!
I'm 17 and its only in the last 2 years or so i've seeked some form of help. I do have some make up (i think its Derma Cover or something?) but i find it to be really waxy, thick and heavy and i'm rubbish at putting it on (so that a lovely passerby pointed out it looked like i had "elephant skin" - needless to say I haven't used it since!) I was just curious about this estee lauder make up and whether it would be any better for covering pws?
Thanks
Hollybee

Rosie 08-28-2005 04:48 AM

I went and bought the Derma Blend. The lightest color that they sell is still too dark for him. I am going to take it back. The cream make up, setting powder and the make up remover was $65.00 total!! I am finding that I am having better success with using my Revlon color stay make up. I also bought a concelor today by physicians formula that is green. It is supposed to counter act the red. We will see how it goes

I used to wear a make up called Wonderwear. It was made by ultima II. I love the stuff and it didn't come off at all. I called and talked to a woman at Nordstroms today at the make up counter. She told me that they would custom blend a color for Samuel.

gdykes 05-11-2011 08:36 PM

Good brands of make up for PWS

I have PWS on my temple, cheek, upper lip and corner of eye. I'm 56, male, so I've been dealing with this a long time. I used Clinique for 20 some years. It's great, real smooth and I could swim with it on. plus their color tones match my complexion. I switched to Joe Blasco a couple of years ago. Also very high quality and providing a wide array of color tones with perfect match to my complextion. I can use darker tones for summer when my skin is tanned and a lighter one the rest of the year. Blasco is less oily than Clinique and just as good or better. Yes they are both expensive but very well worth the price.

erih 05-12-2011 02:56 AM

Rosie, what brand is the green stuff you used?

I remember trying some of that on a whim when I was younger (still in elementary school), but can't remember the name/brand of it now.