Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Child or adult on maintenance treatments? (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=1636)

alexasmommy 10-20-2005 05:45 PM

Child or adult on maintenance treatments?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has a child on laser maintenance treatments, or any adults here. If so, what made you decide to switch to maint? Did you use different lasers?How much overall fading have you seen? Once a year or twice a year treatments? How many tx's did you have before you went to maint?Thanks so much for any insight you can give.
Elena

erih 11-11-2008 06:39 PM

Elena, with my current doc, I'm on "maintenance" treatments. We use the same lasers, but vary the intensity as needed. I go in every 6 months to a year (I also to self-checks at home). So far I've only needed 1 treatment, but that was about 1.5 years after my last treatment. That treatment progressed the same way my 'normal' treatments did.

I was more or less 'forced' to start maintenance treatments as my doc's lasers had done all they could do without risk of scarring. I'm currently working on trying to get a second opinion.

Hope this helps...
~Eri

nygirl 01-19-2013 06:08 AM

Hello! I am wondering the same thing...after the treatments are done how much fading is seen typically in infancy (I have a 7 month old). Then how often are maintenance typically? I am just worried b/c of GA. thanks!!!

hamilton432283 03-20-2013 10:56 PM

I went at least twice a year as maintenance treatments until my mom got cancer. Then my family couldn't pay for both treatments. Anyways I always had them, once in the summer and once in the winter. (my favorite time was the winter because it cooled down my face so much, without having to put ice on it after the treatment.) On me specifically, I had over 30 surgeries and it helped. I still have large amounts that are very red but I know what it would have been like without treatment. When I was little before my surgeries I met a lady that was 30 and she had a port wine stain like mine and it was so bad and she said hers looked like mine when she was little. I cried for days after that. Because one side of her face sagged and was three times the size as the other side of her face. Because I had surgeries mine still looks like it did when I was younger with some swelling and sagging. But the other side of my face there are spots where my birthmark was and it is no longer there. I love to look at those spots. I also started out being put to sleep for the treatments but once I almost didn't wake up so I would say the last 15-20 treatments I was awake for. The doctor always said I was her strongest patient. Having the most treatments, without going under, and always having the most "lazer dots" (as we called them) in the whole hospital. Remember ever case is different, but having maintenance treatments isn't so bad, as long as you have the same doctor and nurses like I did. =)

zhou 05-20-2013 06:44 AM

I saw that you have surgery instead of laser to treat PWS. Could you tell me what kind of surgery and if it leaves scar?
My daughter has PWS on face too. Thanks in advance.