Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Living with a birthmark - my story (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   17 with PWS on cheek and getting treatment (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3318)

Miranda1 02-12-2009 12:15 AM

17 with PWS on cheek and getting treatment

Hi guys, I have just registered with VBF and wanted to share my story with everyone here. I was born with a PWS on my left cheek around 7x7cm in size. When I was very young I didnt relly notice it, and went all through primry and early high school normally. Very rarely would anyone mention it, and if they did it was more out of curiosity then anything else.

Mid way through high school I started wearing make up though and discovered Dermablend wich could cover my PWS very easily. This helped boost my confidence alot and I have worn this make up on an everyday basis up untill now.

A few months ago I searched the internet, came across this website and discovered that there is treatment for PWS's. I bokked and appointment with a Dermatologist and yesterday I went to my first treatment. She used a pulsed dye laser and it only lasted about 15seconds. It wasnt painful at all and didnt hurt after either. The PWS did go dark purple-to almost black though and it has swelled jus a little but Im hoping this will go down soon. The dermatologist said that most treatments are very successful and that around 75% of cases can remove the PWS completely.

I would just like to tell all parents and people with PWS's that they can be both lived with and removed. It has no affected my life in a negative way at all and its just something I consider part of me. However I would feel more comfortable with it gone so that is why I'm undergoing these treatments now.
Technology today is advance and sophisticated and I encourage this to anyone whos un dillema about weather or not to treat them. Its definately woth a try :)

Miranda.

kkent 09-02-2009 05:28 PM

I am almost 30 and am going to my first PWs treatment in 2 days. I had a negative experience as a child. Mine is about the size of a quarter to a silver dollar. It is deep dark red and on the center of the middle of my right cheek. I was taunted as a kid.. and once I was in middle school I began covering my PWS. My mom always told me it was just a skin discoloration and that treatment was too far out of reach.

Just recently after I noticed changes did I ever research it at all. I wear make up everyday and most people have no idea I have a PWS. My boyfriend didn't know until after a year of dating.

We made an appointment to see what it woudl take to remove it. And learned that the treatment wasn't too expensive and actually my boyfriend offered to pay for it.

I am excited to have it gone.. sad to lose it.. and nervous about the procedure.

My mom recently passed away and I sort of feel like it is connected to her.. she made me. But I will love the days of not worrying about my makeup going to the river.. or camping.. or having to put it on before I even get out of the tent and always checking to make sure my makeup still looks right to cover it.

Nervous about after treatment.. I work for a high end accounting firm in Downtown Portland. Only my boss, one of the shareholders knows about my PWS and the treatment.. I am too self consious.

How does your PWS look now after this long after treatment.. I am curious how much they change.

kkent 09-02-2009 05:29 PM

Having my 1st V beam treatment in 2 days.. Im 30

I am almost 30 and am going to my first PWs treatment in 2 days. I had a negative experience as a child. Mine is about the size of a quarter to a silver dollar. It is deep dark red and on the center of the middle of my right cheek. I was taunted as a kid.. and once I was in middle school I began covering my PWS. My mom always told me it was just a skin discoloration and that treatment was too far out of reach.

Just recently after I noticed changes did I ever research it at all. I wear make up everyday and most people have no idea I have a PWS. My boyfriend didn't know until after a year of dating.

We made an appointment to see what it woudl take to remove it. And learned that the treatment wasn't too expensive and actually my boyfriend offered to pay for it.

I am excited to have it gone.. sad to lose it.. and nervous about the procedure.

My mom recently passed away and I sort of feel like it is connected to her.. she made me. But I will love the days of not worrying about my makeup going to the river.. or camping.. or having to put it on before I even get out of the tent and always checking to make sure my makeup still looks right to cover it.

Nervous about after treatment.. I work for a high end accounting firm in Downtown Portland. Only my boss, one of the shareholders knows about my PWS and the treatment.. I am too self consious.

How does your PWS look now after this long after treatment.. I am curious how much they change.