Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Facial PWS Post First Lasering (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3369)

Jonathan Newton 03-25-2009 12:21 PM

Facial PWS Post First Lasering

Hi All,
Could anybody with experience give me a general steer on the number of laser treatments it takes to get a decent level of clearing and do you see the most marked imporvements after the first two treatments.

We started treatment of my daughters facial PWS a month ago and so far have had one treatment and the brusing has cleared etc.

It does look a bit lighter and also more broken up. Would you expect good results after 5-6 treatments etc I know every case if diffrent but Im just trying to manage our expectations!!.

Many thanks.

mlescher 03-25-2009 04:42 PM

Whenever we used to ask Dr. Geronomous, who did my daughter's laser, how many treatments she would need, he would say "More than 1 and less than 1''000". I know it's hard because the treatments, at least for us, were an ordeal as was the recovery because I always tried to be open with people about the reason for the bruising but so many people don't ask or comment; They just give you dirty looks. Anyway, though, I don't know that your daughter will be finished with treatment after 6 but I certainly think you'll see a difference. And although it's hard now, you'll be so glad you did it. and so will she. Hope she's tolerating the treatments okay. Good luck with everything.

SSmiles 05-18-2009 06:17 AM

We were told our daughter should need "2-4" treatments in the first year then others as necessary as she gets older. She's 6 months old now and will have her first treatment at 10 months old. Her PWS is small under her nose but she has a bigger one on the side of her cheek too.

Melaina'sMommy 06-09-2009 07:21 PM

My daughter has had 20 something treatments (I lost count). She started at 1yr old and is almost 5yrs old. Initially, I was told it would take somewhere around 10 treatments but her cheek and upper lip are not lightening up as fast as we thought they would. Our doc is trying different lasers with different intensities, etc to see if that will produce better results but I'm expecting a couple more years of this before we can go on a maintenance program. It depends on how big the PWS is and where it is located.

tess 06-16-2009 02:25 AM

Hi, Jonathan!

When we first began treatments for our daughter's facial PWS, we were told that the "average" number of treatments would be about 6. So, I got really exciting thinking that it would be totally cleared up relatively quickly!

However, the reality is that every PWS is unique and requires a different number of treatments. We've now completed about 13 or 14 treatments, and expect to have several (or even many) more to go!

I was really frustrated when I first realized that 6 treatments wasn't going to take care of the PWS. It helped me a lot once I was able to readjust my expectations and recognize that the treatment was going to be a lengthy process rather than a quick fix.

I wish I had known at the beginning that the treatments could take awhile, so that I wouldn't have had unreasonable expectations and the disappointment that followed. Now, though, I am settled into the "routine" of treatment, recovery, and more treatments - and it's much easier to deal with because I know we're in this for the long haul.

It also helped me a lot to understand that each laser treatment - with different settings and intensities - works to destroy different levels of the PWS. So, sometimes we see "big" results, and sometimes only a little bit of lightening - but either way is OK.

It's been a slow process, but I know we're heading in the right direction - and I'm learning a lot about being patient.

In the meantime, I'm relishing the joys of parenting my precious daughter, and I try not to let her PWS or the laser treatments define her... or me!

dodo 07-16-2009 07:17 PM

hi jonathan

this is my first posting and read your threads a few months ago, just wondering how your daughter is getting on with the laser treatments?

i am also in uk and our ds with a pws will also be starting treatment in the near future.

all the best

nj