Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Living with a birthmark - my story (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My story..kind of. (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3393)

Vildedyret 04-15-2009 04:30 PM

My story..kind of.

Hi! I'm a sixteen year old girl from Norway with a facial PWS birthmark. It covers my left cheek, my chin and the left half of my lower lip.It's never really been much of a problem for me, even though it's been hard at times.
I've had treatments regularly since I was a baby, however it's probably been a year or so since last time now.

When I was a young girl I was never bothered with it, probably because I mostly was with guys and they never said anything about it. The only thing that mattered to them was that I was good at soccer, hehe. If anyone asked about it I only said that it was just a birthmark.
It wasn't until I was about eleven that I ever really thought about it. But I still didn't mind it all that much - I was thankful that I didn't have any diseases and such. After all, I'd much rather have my birthmark than for example not being able to walk.

I've never had any problems with bullying - as long as you don't care about it, no one else will either. And if someone does, then that's their problem. I've always been confident in myself and never hesitate to voice my opinion, so if someone sent a nasty remark my way, well then I'd send one right back at them.

It wasn't until I began in the 11th grade (this year) that I began wearing make-up to cover it up. I finally found something that I thought was comfortable (mineral powder make-up). And here's just a piece of advice for parents with children who have birthmarks. NEVER suggest that they should start to wear make-up. It's probably the worst thing you can do, and you'll just make them feel like they have something that they should cover up and that they're different from everybody else. Just let them decide when they want to/if they want to. Another thing I'd like to say is that if you cover up your birthmark, then you should take days where you don't wear make-up. Simply so you won't be like one of those who just can't walk out of the door without make-up on, because that's truly just sad.

I've had many laughs due to people not knowing what my birthmark is. A little girl once asked if I had taped a salami to my face. :p And once I tricked someone into believing I was attacked by piranhas.

I honestly have no idea what more to write, so bye! Remember that you're all beautiful, no matter what you might think about yourself! Your life is a miracle, don't waste it just because you're insecure about yourself!

missy 04-15-2009 10:19 PM

That was a really nice post. You sound like a well-rounded confident young lady. Good on you!!

LOL @ taped a salami to your face. That's a good one!!

Thanks for coming and posting! Come by often and chat it up with the others.

Missy

muco_87 05-09-2009 11:34 PM

how can you be optimist like this ? i want to be optimist like you but unfortunately i couldn't succeed to be optimist for years :S

''A little girl once asked if I had taped a salami to my face'' =) it was very comic :D i meet questions like this too.

RowdyBliss 11-03-2009 06:13 PM

I'm bringing this back up to the top because this is a GREAT post...

...but also because it is important for parents to see, especially the bit about not encouraging makeup or encouraging covering it up, like it's ugly or something to feel ashamed about.

I think that a lot of the confident attitude I have regarding my own rather large PWS (much of my right leg) has a lot to do with how my parents regarded it - which was... not at all. Seriously, nobody ever brought up my birthmark, I never had it treated, never saw a doctor for it - it was just there, a curiosity. People said all kinds of stupid things to me over the years, but most of it was just because they were curious about it. Mostly, I'd just shrug it off and say, "It's a birthmark. It's not a rash, it's not contagious, and it doesn't bother me." Once people knew what it was, it wasn't so scary or weird, and (Your piranha story made me laugh - I once convinced a particularly ignorant person I'd been trapped in a burning building!)

r2242 11-17-2009 10:19 PM

I agree that parents shouldn't suggest to their kids to cover up their in any ways. When I was little(6-12 yrs. old) my mom would advice me to cover up my birthmark, and not only with makeup but with my hair, or when taking photo's she would tell me to turn my face to the left a little to make my birthmark less visible. She also applied makeup over my birthmark (that didn't even cover up my birthmark and I still remember how nasty it smelled), but after a year or two I was sick of wearing makeup so then she stopped applying. I didn't see anything wrong with me then, I thought I was "normal." When I turned 14 I got very self conscious of the birthmark and start wearing makeup, but it was a choice that I made myself. Ever since, I have been wearing makeup. But now, my mom doesn't want me wearing makeup. She says that I'm beautiful the way I am. Really?!? Why did you try to cover up my birthmark when I was little? Was I not beautiful enough with the birthmark?
Parents please don't try to cover up your child's birthmark, let them make this decision themselves.