Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Help and Resources for Hemangiomas (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stork Bites, Angel Kisses, Salmon Patches (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3395)

kdtanker 04-16-2009 04:19 PM

Stork Bites, Angel Kisses, Salmon Patches

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I just wanted to add this post for anyone who has recently given birth to a baby with prominent stork bites, angel kisses, and/or salmon patches (these are all basically the same thing). I have been meaning to do this for a long time and want to take a moment to share my story. I have attached a photo of our baby right after birth and you can see she has prominent markings. The doctor told us they were port wine stains and was very sure about it. However, the next day, a pediatrician with 35 years of experience said they were "classically placed smooth hemangiomas." He said the "V" on the forehead is extremely common, then the ones above the eyes, then the one above the mouth. She also has them on the sides and back of her head and on her neck and back. She is now 8 months old and they have lightened quite a bit. The doctor says they will be very difficult to see by the time she is 3 or 4. I just wanted to share this in case any of you have been told with such certainty the same thing. Please, have the baby looked at by several doctors!

missy 04-17-2009 12:21 AM

Gorgeous baby! Thanks for posting your experiences. The more parents share, the more other parents can learn.

Come by often!

Missy

nickbar 04-17-2009 05:16 PM

Congrats on your new baby. Thank you for sharing your story. It is a reminder that multiple opinions are often necessary and sometimes it takes time to see what you are really dealing with. I don't fault any of your doctors' mis-diagnosis... pws and hemangiomas often will appear similar at birth. I am happy to hear these "stork bites" are fading already. Please keep us posted on the progress.

LRL 07-14-2009 04:42 PM

Dear kdtanker,

Thank you so much for putting this information on here. My son was born with marks in exactly the same places as your daughter. He has seen a consultant dermatologist who diagnosed the Stork bites/Salmon patches/Angel kisses and told us the marks should hopefully fade in time. My son is two months old now and I can't help but still be concerned about the marks and worry they may not fade, especially the mark on his upper lip which is the most prominent. Although he is my precious baby boy and I love him dearly, of course I would rather he didn't have these facial birthmarks. I have been looking on the internet for images of these type of birthmark but the photo of your baby is the first I have come accross that is so similar to my son's marks. I don't suppose you would consider putting a photo of your daughter now, so I can see to what extent the marks have faded? Don't worry if you would rather not, and of course I realise each baby is different. I just hoped I would be reassured to see a baby with the same thing as my son and to see how the marks may fade. Please keep us updated with progress. Many thanks once again.

LRL

ljwright 09-15-2009 07:39 PM

Stork Bite

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
our beautiful girl was born yesterday with a very similar mark on her upper lip.
I also have had a very hard time finding pictures that showed a similar condition.
Originally the Dr. said it was a port wine stain but he now seems to be of the opinion that its a stork bite (just a little redder than is often common)
I think for any parent, anything that appears out of the norm is an immediate concern as we all want our children to be perfect.
I think its great that there is a community out there that can help parents with knowledge and understanding of these conditions. It seems like paediatric dermatologist are not very common and paediatricians can often misdiagnose conditions on first inspection.
I believe the skin condition will eventually clear itself up, and if not we have the modern marvels of lasers to take care of it.
I will try and post more pics later on, remember that the internet is great for information, but also great to instill panic. Talk to others about their experiences and dont jump to conclusions overnight :-)

Enjoy the marvel of parenthood!!

missy 09-15-2009 10:48 PM

Well, she is gorgeous!!!

Now, new mom... go rest!!

Missy

stepmom of 2 09-16-2009 03:40 PM

i've never heard of "smooth hemangiomas" and googling didn't get me many results... does anyone have more info on those? i had the V on my forehead as a baby, as did my mother, and my baby had a very light one... my mom always called it my "venus beauty mark" - this interests me as i wonder if it's related to my daughter's hemangioma in some way, there were discussions about if they were hereditary or not.

ljwright 09-19-2009 02:59 PM

Update

So after a little more research and talking to a Dr it appears that most vascular birthmarks that are midline (often symetrical and between the eyes, on the forehead, nose or lips) will 95% of the time fade. Some may take a lot longer than others. 2-3 years in some cases.
I'll let you know how things progress.

missy 09-20-2009 12:14 AM

Do come back and let us know how things are going with you and your beautiful little girl.

Take good care!

Missy

kyls 12-02-2009 02:35 PM

More pictures

2 Attachment(s)
Our daughter was born with stork marks on her forehead, both eyelids, nose, upper lip and the back of her head. I hadn't come across any photos of babies with as many as she had and I was very worried. As can be seen in the photos, they have faded substantially by 8 months.