Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Twins With Birthmarks (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lower Lip hemangioma (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3656)

ammu 01-15-2010 02:27 PM

Lower Lip hemangioma

Hi,
Im from India.My 1 year 10 months old kid have lower lip hemangioma.Its growing rapidly now.Doctors suggests surgery.Is there any other alternative treatments available? will scars be there if it operated?
please advice.

missy 01-16-2010 12:15 AM

Hi and welcome!

If you can post a photo, you will get a better response. There could be other treatments, but it depends on size, location, etc.

Missy

nickbar 01-28-2010 12:23 AM

I would highly recommend contacting Dr. Levitin on the ask the expert page for advice on treatment options for your baby. Please let me know if you need any help.

ammu 07-06-2010 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
herewith im attaching my son's photo.
please suggest whether surgery is the only option or not?
im really confused.

missy 07-06-2010 02:11 PM

Given it's location and size and his age, I would think that even after the birthmark went away, he would need surgery to fix his lip. I would think that surgery is his only option right now.

What have your doctors said?

Missy

ammu 07-31-2010 01:02 AM

After surgery

1 Attachment(s)
he had surgery on July 14 and i m so desperate now.
because now the lip extended a little down and it looks odd.
i don't know whether the shape will come to normal gruadually.
could anybody have similiar experience then please share with me , as it will help me to get some peace of mind.
herewith im attaching a latest photo.

missy 07-31-2010 02:38 PM

What has the doctor said? Will he do another surgery to correct the lip?

Honestly, you will notice it more than other people. I don't think it looks that odd!!

:)

Missy

ammu 08-01-2010 02:50 PM

may be i am noticing more than others.But i think u can see a cut in left side of the lip also the lip is extended down.
We asked the doctor and he said it will come to normal soon.
But we are doubtful as it took more than two weeks and it becomes too clear now.

Burrell41 12-16-2011 08:04 AM

My LO has a hemangioma on the back of her ear of all places! The doc said she'd never seen one there! It's kind of funny because it makes her ear poke out and look like a monkey! We are trying some options for treating hers because of the location and the delicate skin around the ear. It is so stretched out that the skin is now like paper thin and the doc is pretty worried about potential bleeding if the place gets nicked. This happened once already at daycare...she nicked it with her finger nail and it bled so much they had to hold her down to stop the bleeding. Now that she's crawling it's only a matter of time before she bumps into something and it happens again but worse. We went to the dermatologist about it and I was given some options. The first and easiest and what we are trying now is a topical steroid called Vanos. I just put it on twice a day. He said sometimes it works, sometimes not...she's been on it for about a month now and it might be a teeny bit smaller but the only big change is that the skin is peeling a lot where it has been applied. The next option is a new treatment for hemangiomas that apparently is working great. It's the use of Propofol, a drug used to lower blood pressure in adults. It's apparently very safe, however during the first dose, the baby does need to be supervised in the hospital to make sure they don't have an adverse reaction...once they see that the won't then its fine and you can go home. It kind of makes me nervous but they said that it's a wonderful treatment. I'm going to do some more research though. We are supposed to go back in a few weeks to discuss it more.

mohsinj677 07-30-2013 09:28 AM

Mohsin

;) This post is so great and NIce ;)

This happened once already at daycare...she nicked it with her finger nail and it bled so much they had to hold her down to stop the bleeding. Now that she's crawling it's only a matter of time before she bumps into something and it happens again but worse. We went to the dermatologist about it and I was given some options. The first and easiest and what we are trying now is a topical steroid called Vanos. I just put it on twice a day. He said sometimes it works, sometimes not...she's been on it for about a month now and it might be a teeny bit smaller but the only big change is that the skin is peeling a lot where it has been applied.