Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Adults Living with Birthmarks (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Vascular Malformation and Birth Control (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3728)

sens71010 03-10-2010 12:35 AM

Vascular Malformation and Birth Control

Do not use YAZ birth control with a vascular malformation. Worst month of my life. Caused major swelling and pain which was caused by the fluid retention (I believe anyway). Perhaps some of you know this already but I did not! Thank the good Lord I am better now. I am still pursuing options to rid myself of my malformation. Finally after 24 years!

kaykay 03-10-2010 01:44 AM

YAZ. Ok good to know i've been curious since someone asked about BCP. I use Nordette for several years. No problems. Life is MUCH better for it :)

sens71010 04-18-2010 09:26 PM

Good news. I am now on Errin and the side effects are considerably less. I still feel not quite normal but no pain or swelling to speak of! Thank the LORD! Seriously.

missy 04-18-2010 10:41 PM

Glad you are feeling better now! I can't remember where your malformation is located?

Even though the side effects are less, is there anything they can do to treat each side effect one by one?

Missy

sweet pea 04-19-2010 12:21 AM

Yaz has many side effects with anyone, not just with people who have malformations. I don't think I'd ever consider it. I'm still looking for a good birth control option. So frustrated trying to find one that won't make my malformation hurt.

fayedavenport 05-11-2010 03:47 AM

I am amazement. I am 28 years old and have lived with my hemangioma for all my life. Sure I knew others had hemangiomas but nothing I had ever found sounded like my case. Now that I have found this site I'm almost speechless. I almost can't imagine others living with what I live with.

When I was around 18 the first birth control prescribed to me was YAZ...
My hemangioma is on my chest mostly covering my left breast. When I went on YAZ it was living hell for 3 days. I cried and cried and laid in bed and finally my mom said there's no way she was going to let me put that in my body.

sweet pea talks about her malformation hurting... What does yours feel like?
Mine is like a sharp stabbing in my chest, sometimes deeply painful.
I can't have caffeine either as it makes me feel as though my heart will literally burst through my hemangioma.

All birth controls seem to bother me some but after a week my heart seems to settle down. I have come to like the NuvaRing the most.

sweet pea 05-28-2010 08:26 PM

fayedavenport... mine feels like a sharp pain at times, like the pain of a paper cut to the extreme. Other times it's more a dull pain. I had never had pain associated with my malformation before, but in the last few years it's been a problem. The last gynecologist I went to would not put me on the pill and said it would be best if I tried other things to deal with my cramps. Well I've tried other things and it's not working, so I have another appointment with a new doctor to see what she says. I really just want to try the BC pill and see how it effects me. I'm so fed up with the extreme cramps I get monthly. There just has to be something I can take...

LizH 09-13-2010 03:03 PM

YAZ and Yasmin do have side effects for many people, however, the unique ingredient they use in place of progesterone is the only thing that works for some people with unbalanced hormones. Was your potassium level tested before and while you were on YAZ?

I have a very extensive PWS and have been on Yasmin for years without any problems. Ocella, the generic, made me sick as anything though.

kaykay 09-14-2010 02:02 AM

My Nordette works fine but i have been informed it will does not help with extensive vascular malformations. I don't really want to change. its the only one i've been on and don't really wanna mess with a good thing. trying to make up my mind to change or not.

kaykay 09-14-2010 07:20 PM

i will be trying Yaz. it has the lowest about of estrogen so i hope everything is ok. omg its expensive. Nordette has been out of stock for months an i kinda fed up of that cause if i didn't keep a couple boxes all the time i'd have to keep changing my BCP. I was going to start Novyette which i heard is better than Nordette but i informed my doctor i needed something else and he said Yaz had the lowest levels.

gonna give it a few months and see what happens.