Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Adults Living with Birthmarks (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engaged! Anyone covered an entire arm in makeup before?? (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=4081)

LizH 09-13-2010 03:21 PM

Engaged! Anyone covered an entire arm in makeup before??

My boyfriend surprised me two weeks ago and proposed!

I've started thinking about the dress... my PWS is all over my hand/arm/back, and I really don't want a dress with sleeves (kind of in love with a strapless ballgown right now). Has anyone had success in covering such a large area with makeup that stayed put for half a day?
I'm not sure about long gloves, I think I'd rather leave it showing or have it fully covered than have it obviously half-covered.
In terms of leaving it showing... it's a big part of me, it's influenced who I am and who I was growing up, and I don't make a huge effort to cover it every day so my fiance, in-laws, and the rest of their family know about it and just don't pay attention to it.
In terms of covering it up... it's supposed to be a fantasy day, right? (lol)

Any experience? Thoughts?
Thanks!

abatie 09-13-2010 03:34 PM

Don't cover it! The people who love you both aren't going to care and like you said it makes you-you!

kaykay 09-16-2010 12:20 AM

congradulations on the engagement !

i agree. don't cover it. wear the strapless gown you love. everyone already knows right ? but it is up to you. your are entering into a union where your lives are shared and a companion for life. Nothing else should matter but that :D

Rachel May 01-07-2011 01:07 AM

Though I do understand the previous comments telling you not to, I also totally understand why you wanna cover it up. Sure, its a part of you and your fiance loves you just the way you are - but its like getting your hair and make up done for your special day! It just makes you feel extra pretty on your big day - even though you know your husband is going to love you just as much when you wake up beside him the next morning with messy hair and no make up.

If you decide not to cover it up and are comfortable with that - good for you. If you feel you'd like to have it covered, I'd recommend stage make up, which I use regularly to cover the hemangiomas on my arms and shoulders. Actually I recently wore an strapless gown to a ball and had all my birthmarks completely covered with stage make up. Its the same sort of make up used to hide tattoos on actors etc.

It CAN be a bit tricky to apply especially if you're not used to it, so if I was you I'd get it done by a professional make up artist. But it can definitely successfully be done if that is what you choose to do.

sweet pea 01-25-2011 03:44 AM

Congrats on your engagement!! I know this is a bit late, but you can go to any make-up store, like Mac and ask about what types of foundations they have that may cover up your birthmark well. If you even choose to cover it. Also, you can google different foundations and see what comes up for good, long lasting ones.

RowdyBliss 06-02-2011 06:18 PM

HENNA!

Find a henna artist to do a beautiful henna design over your birthmark. I am a henna artist and also have a PWS... and I have henna'd my own PWS before with great success. It's completely natural, painless, and temporary (henna tattoos fade and disappear in about a week or two).

I know this is late, but it's another alternative to covering it entirely.