Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   AVM Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dr. Yakes of Colorado (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=4149)

Janey 11-03-2010 11:37 PM

Dr. Yakes of Colorado

Hello, I am 49 years old and have just found out what this purple mark I've had since birth and pain on my right cheek is diagnosed as a vascular facial and skull malformations. It is not to badly obvious, but has just recently started causing some serious pain. After finding out how much treatment will be I would love to forget about it, but not sure I should. I haven't seen any recent blogs and actually this is the first time I have ever done this, but this is some serious stuff here. Can anyone update me on experience they have had with Dr. Yakes, recoveries or anything. I am worried about this ethanol they use. I am worried by some of the stuff I read that the pain could be worse after. Any words on the subject? Thanks much!

missy 11-04-2010 12:39 AM

I don't have any specific advice, but wanted to say hi and welcome!

Others will post soon, so hang in there!

Missy

jackiem 11-09-2010 03:39 PM

My daughter had schlerotherapy in April 2010 at age 15. She has a VM in her neck. When she woke up from the treatment, she thought she felt really good. However, the pain and swelling started shortly after and she stayed overnight in the hospital and I was very thankful. I couldn't not have controlled the pain and vomiting, we would've been back in the ER that night. The worst was the first 72 hours with pain, swelling and bruising. Pain meds helped and were definitely needed for her. Within two weeks or a little more she felt better than she had before treatment. It was worth it to us. Hope this helps some.

CarlyJo 11-15-2010 06:24 AM

Hello Janey,

I've seen Dr. Yakes once for the AVM in my right ankle, and am actually going back in a month for my next treatment as my malformation is rather large. As far as recovery time goes, for me it was over a month before I could walk without crutches, but I would imagine that is due mainly to the location of it, and not as much to the surgery itself. Personally, I am a little frightened to return as the it seems to me if the pain has changed at all, it might have gotten a little worse. This is, according to Yakes, something that happens occasionally, but he's confident that he can lessen my pain considerably, so I'm giving it one more try. I'm telling you this just so you can be aware that there is that risk. I've also lost the ability to move a few of my toes on that foot since the procedure, but if this treatment ends up working, I'll be more than happy to deal with that annoyance.

I know he is very highly regarded, and I hope to join the ranks of those who hold him in high regard, but I thought you should also be aware of the risks also.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you luck!

Carly