Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Youth and Teen Support (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dr.W & Laser (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=436)

eprmo 12-17-2003 04:29 PM

Dr.W & Laser

I heard from Dr. W..He called after he viewed my daughter's photo's via e-mail. He has an opening this MONDAY, and he is fitting us in. He said his plan of action would be, first to laser her nose, and then do the surgical procedure after.(.I was thinking this summer, )but anyway,,we're going to Little Rock to have him treat her.
He sounds so kind, and caring. I am praying he is our "dream come true" for my daughter.
He also said, the surgical procedure is not a big one, he stated he can make her nose look 95-99% normal...

I feel scared like,,this is to good to be true..

But, anyway,,I'll let you all know how it goes...

Lise 12-18-2003 03:25 AM

Re:Dr.W & Laser

This is very good news! I was operated by Dr. Waner in May and in October. I had an AVM on my lower lip. He has taken it out and my huge lip has returned to almost complete normal now. I'm delighted with the results and forever grateful to him! Be confident, he is extremely competent, he is the best in this field. But after surgery and for a few weeks, my lip was bruised and much swollen. So you have to be prepared for this temporary worsening.

Lise
Montreal

eprmo 12-18-2003 05:17 PM

Lise,

Thank you for your letter.

May I ask you a question??? You mentioned two surguries,,why, two,,How did you lip appear after the first one??? Both times were you swollen for a few weeks??

Monday when we see Dr. W,,I'll know more about my daughter's procedure, but for now I can only wonder..

Thank you, again!

Elissa

Lise 12-18-2003 06:23 PM

Hi Elissa,

My problem is a recurrent AVM (most AVMs are recurrent). Two months after the first surgery I was very pleased with the cosmetic results, but I phoned Dr. Waner to know more about his prognosis : he had said that it would recur in about ten years. Right at the beginning of that phone conversation, after having asked how I was doing, Dr. Waner suggested to do that second surgery (under local anesthesia, for free) using another procedure and my trip expenses paid for. I was not expecting such a proposal! I was happy with the results of the first surgery and telling him so, although I would have liked very much to hear that it would never recur. So, this is how I got that second surgery.

I was swollen for about six weeks after the first surgery (a 2-hour procedure under general anesthesia). The first two weeks were the worst (with the bruising ++). After the second surgery, again swelling decreasing for about six weeks, but after the first week, my lip was not much swollen, it was nice.

If you're interested in "before-after" photos, I can e-mail them to you.

Lise

eprmo 12-18-2003 07:05 PM

Lise,

Yes, I would like before-after photo's... and this Dr. W sounds AMAZING!!!! I can't wait to meet him,,,a few more days!!

beccasmommy 01-05-2004 10:04 PM

Elissa,
How did the surgery go?

Beccasmommy

eprmo 01-06-2004 12:52 AM

Dear Becca's mommy,

She had the YAG laser and did great. She was swollen for about 1.5 weeks, but she went to school today, and felt teriffic,,and we all can see the improvements already.. She is so pleased with the results, now she is even "ready" for the real surgery.

Dr. Waner is wonderful. I spoke to him today to set up the procedure for this summer.

I am only "looking foward"....

Thank you so much for asking!!!!

beccasmommy 01-06-2004 03:00 AM

Glad to hear it! We will be going to Little Rock in March. I spoke to Dr. Waner on the phone; he really knows how to put your mind at ease. I can't wait either!

coco3523 12-01-2006 01:05 AM

Good ole Dr. Waner.... i LOVE him and I'm glad everyone else has found him too!! :)