Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Treatment of Children's Deformities Act -Senate Bill 1822 I (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=485)

DannysMom 01-27-2004 12:15 AM

Treatment of Children's Deformities Act -Senate Bill 1822 I

I recently read about a bill that was introduced called the Treatment of Children's Deformities Act. The following is some information about the bill. I have mentioned this bill in our predetermination letter for insurance coverage. Basically stating that they (the insurance company) should cover the treatments because, hopefully sooner than later, it will be mandated by law. Vascular birthmarks can pose signifcant health issues and treatments should be covered for medical and not just cosmetic reasons.

Here is some FYI....

The Treatment of Children’s Deformities Act. -Senate Bill 1822, sponsored by John McCain (R-AZ), and House Bill 49, sponsored by Sue Kelly (R-NY), would ensure insurance coverage of procedures associated with childhood deformities, disfigurements, and congenital defects.

"While childhood should be a time of wonder, exploration, and accomplishment, it can also be a time of insecurity, especially if a child is also dealing with a disfiguring skin condition," stated Richard K. Scher, M.D., President of the American Academy of Dermatology. "These disfiguring skin conditions are often a barrier to a happy, confident childhood and their treatment is a necessity. The American Academy of Dermatology’s 13,000 members whole-heartedly endorse the passage of the Treatment of Children’s Deformities Act which will help to ensure that children receive the best possible dermatologic care."

Birthmarks, such as port wine stains and hemangiomas, are common skin disfigurations in children. Not only do they mar a child’s outward appearance, they can also be scarred emotionally - making them self-conscious and sometimes causing withdrawal from social contact. Although these birthmarks may seem harmless, some may actually develop into severe deformities later in life.

While the medical technology exists today to improve these disfiguring skin conditions, many children are often denied insurance coverage and their families face large out-of-pocket expenses – which they may not be able to afford. Passage of the Treatment of Children’s Deformities Act will enable physicians, not insurance companies, to determine what is medically necessary for the well being of a child.

The American Academy of Dermatology, founded in 1938, is the largest, most influential, and most representative of all dermatologic associations. With a membership over 13,000 dermatologists worldwide, the Academy is committed to: advancing the science and art of medicine and surgery related to the skin; advocating high standards in clinical practice, education, and research in dermatology; supporting and enhancing patient care; and promoting a lifetime of healthier skin, hair, and nails. For more information, contact the AAD at 1-888-462-DERM or www.aad.org.

Hope this information is helpful. I would encourage parents to contact their government representatives to get them to support this bill.

vbfpresident 02-28-2004 03:51 PM

Re:Treatment of Children's Deformities Act -Senate Bill 1822 I

thank you so much...I"m meeting with a congressman on this subject on Monday and this is exactly what I needed.

Linda Shannon
VBF President

nickbar 03-02-2004 04:43 AM

Re:Treatment of Children's Deformities Act -Senate Bill 1822 I

Do you have an update on this bill? Will you let us know when you do! Thank you.

Corinne
MSN Support Group Manager
rinner@comcast.net

PS we have some letter writers getting busy with there local congressman!