Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Laser treatment (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=51)

hankbartenbach 11-16-2002 07:30 AM

Laser treatment

Hi my name is Hank Bartenbach.

I am posting this poll to find out what people think about laser treatment. This poll is for laser treatment in general not just for PWS. It is for any kind of laser that you my have had, am thinking about, never will, are, and etc.

I have had laser treatment for about fourteen years and I have used three different types of lasers. I have a PWS in several places on my head, and have several vascular malformations on my head as well.

If any has any questions please ask. If you want a photo email me and I will email you pic's.
Laser treatment is working for me and I will contiue to have treatment until I can no longer do it, but with the technology today hopefully I can remove the birthmarks at least on my face.

I will talk to everybody soon.

Hank B

ssklrk 11-22-2002 02:07 AM

Re:Laser treatment

I am a mother of a 3 year old with PWS. She has had 9 pulse dye laser treatments so far. Most of her face is covered with PWS. The fading is incredible. I am so worried about what her life will be like as a child growing up. Sometimes I second guess my decision but I was also told that the PWS could become a hard mass on her body if not treated. They have always put her under anesthesia when doing the laser. Except one time. They used a numbing cream. That one time traumatized me more than her. So I have never let them do it that way again. I would be interested in hering your experiences growing up with PWS. How did you handle it? I just want to make sure I give her the best possible life and experiences. Thanks. :)

whailedoz 11-27-2002 02:11 AM

Hi, my Names Matt and im 19 years old, I have had A port wine stain coving half of my face ever since i could remember,Its very hard at times cos it does tend to make you very shy, and stops you from having a full social lifei have had three laser treatment, on when I was 6 and 8 and one when i was 13, the first two were som laser copper thing, i cant remember to well but i did not work and scared, the other did work and faded most of my birthmark,I have had the numbing cream before and even at 13 i was nearly in tears from the pain,other complications i have from having this syndrome is glaucoma in the one eye, and a rejection from the Royal Australian Air force for having a treatable Glaucoma which i take medication for and is under control,The best thing i wish my parents had done was get this thing off me when i was Younger,I have been able to participate in many sports,gain good friends and Not much has stopped me from leading my life, i hope I helped you in any way, and hope you keep your daughters treatments up.

anhz 11-28-2002 02:36 PM

Hello , I have a birthmark on my face .It is purple .I want to know which treatment is the best for me.Will it leave scar after treatment? I have looked through lots information on website in Chinese .Every Physician says his treatment is the best ,so I don,t believe them all.
Can you tell me the real conditions about the laser treatment .THanks a lot.

clairesmum 03-24-2003 04:29 AM

My daughter was born with a PWS on both sides of her face, mainly the right, with dark patches around her eye and nose and chin area. She is now 5 mths old and has been booked in for a vascular laser therapy, under general anaestic to commence at 7 mths. Her doctor believes this is the way to go, and is a leader in her field her in Sydney Aust. Claire has also having regular checks for glaucoma, because of the PWS around her eye. She has been given the all clear so far, but they want to monitor it 3 mthly for a while. The opthamologist could not stress enough how she will need regular checks for glaucoma.
I am quite distressed about Claire's mark and the treatment with the laser. I did see one mum talking about her 8mth old boy having this treatment recently, and would love to hear from her to know exactly how her boy reacted and how she is coping with all this. I would also love to hear from anyone else that is undergoing this laser therapy or who's child is, to know a bit more what to expect.

hankbartenbach 03-24-2003 05:59 AM

Hi clairesmum,

This is Hank. Thank you for responding to my topic and I hope every thing turns out for the best in your daughters mark. The reason I say is becaue I have a PWS in my eye. Litterly everybody thinks I am always High or something. I have had the test for glaucoma and did not have any. So I suggest you do the right thing and go thru what you think is right.
If you have any questions you would like to ask me please ask because that is what I am here for.

Hank B

atrame 06-11-2003 03:19 PM

Hi, I have a daughter with pws. She has had 5 pulse dye laser treatments so far. She is schedule for the next one one MOnd. It is really working. I dont think it will ever be completely gone but it looks great compared to when we started. She had her 1st one at 6mth old. She always is put under with general anesh. After the treatment she is fine. She looks horrible wiht brusiing but doesent seem to bother her otherwise. If you a specific ?'s feel free to e-mail me. Angie

hankbartenbach 06-22-2003 11:08 PM

Hi Angie, thank you for posting a reply to my poll and I hope your daughters laser treatment goes well.
The brusing does happen with the dye lasers but after the day of the treatment I can not even feel it any more. If you ever need to talk I am here for you. I have been doing laser treatments for 14 years now and I have been there. So if you have any questions just message me I and I will see if I can help.

Again good luck with the lasers.

Hank B

anti 09-20-2004 06:26 PM

Hi Hank,

It's good to hear that laser treatment has possitine results for you. Concerning me, The last two treatments didn't have any reaction at all on my pws and the doctor had to dis continue my treatment until new technology arises on laser. I will have a plastic syrgery on my lips since they are oversized and swallen all the time and I will wait for future laser to come.

take care.xxxxx

hankbartenbach 09-21-2004 02:06 AM

Hi Anti,

That is the same problem I have, the lasers just where not effective anymore, the small areas yes, but those are all gone, the deep areas where never phased my the many lasers I have used.
That is why I am going to see Dr. Waner. You should look him up under the resources, he is in NY.

Talk to you soon.

Hank