Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Living with a birthmark - my story (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Port Wine Leg vs. College Life (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=5203)

moran1796 12-27-2010 11:34 PM

Port Wine Leg vs. College Life

this thread is no longer listed

missy 12-28-2010 02:27 PM

Hi and welcome and thanks for your post!

You sound very level-headed and smart and I know you will always do well.

Missy

Rachel May 01-06-2011 09:45 PM

"my least favorite part of the party aspect is that split second when a hot guy tells you that you look pretty but it doesn't really mean anything because he's not seeing all of you, and you know that he would run and hide the second you took off those tights"

Story of my life. Except that I'm hiding my back, thighs and upper arms, not legs. But I know exactly how you feel. I feel like under my clothes and make up, I'm ugly.

But I had a lovely boyfriend when I was 16 who never commented on my birthmarks and gave me a lot more confidence about them. One day you'll take off your tights for some hot guy, and he'll be so into you that your birthmark wont be important to him. Even better, you'll find someone who loves it, because its part of you. Best of luck

Now back to facebook for me too!

rocketman 01-13-2011 02:42 AM

I kinda know how you feel. I'm 22 and a senior in college. I have a PWS on the left side of my face. I can't really hide it, and I haven't had any treatment at all.

Many times I feel hideous when I meet other people or when I am at parties. I know I can't go up to a girl at a party and expect her to be physically attracted to me right there.

I've dated a few girls but I don't really know how they felt about my birthmark; I guess I never asked them that.

But, whenever I'm with my friends, who accept me for who I am, I could forget that I have a port wine stain on my face. It felt like I was normal, no different from any other person.

sweet pea 01-25-2011 03:37 AM

"my least favorite part of the party aspect is that split second when a hot guy tells you that you look pretty but it doesn't really mean anything because he's not seeing all of you, and you know that he would run and hide the second you took off those tights"

You may very well be surprised that some guys really don't care and will love you for you. I don't have a PWS, but I have a lymphatic malformation. I never thought I would find someone who loved me for me. I didn't think any guy would want to be with a woman who had massive scars on her leg and had been through several surgeries. Yet here I am, dating the most awesome man, who completely loves me and knows everything about me and doesn't mind one bit.

I'm also in college and love it. It's a much different atmosphere than high school and much more accepting. I'm 21 myself and have come a long way with how I feel about my malformation. I really could care less if people see the scars, as their opinion does not matter. The malformation has partially made me who I am today, so I wouldn't want to change it for anything.

Heretostay90 05-02-2011 03:05 PM

i relate to you in a way~ we could hide whatever we want with the jeans and stuff but when an event comes where you have to wear short pants, it takes enormous courage to do so..hope to keep this thread alive and find similiar cases like us