Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Youth and Teen Support (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Struggling with my birthmark (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=5353)

PMadden 06-05-2011 05:35 PM

Struggling with my birthmark

hi
My name is Peter, I'm 14 years old and live in Liverpool. Im from a working class background and have lots of friends, however I have had problems coping with my birthmark.
I always wondered why I could never get in a relationship the past two years, I always treated girls I liked well and they always got along well with me, but recently I realised it was down to my hemangioma on my left cheek. My hemangioma is slightly raised and so it sticks out more than the other side of my face. Although the colouring has now gone in it, people still constantly make remarks about my birthmark. And the horrible thing is, I know people joke about it and say absolutely awful things, but they would never say it to my face. I've only ever had one girlfriend and I'm getting to the age now when I want relationships with girls. All my male friends are honest and believe I'm good looking and don't get enough girlfriends, and a lot of girls say I deserve a beautiful girlfriend, but none of them ever seem interested. It really depresses me seeing as nowadays girlfriends are all that matter, and I can't get one because of my birthmark :/ I've consulted a doctor, but he told me that if I got it removed, I would make it worse. It's pretty depressing and I feel like I stand out, and not in a good way. There's nothing worse than hearing girls talk about it. It really upset me about a month ago when i was talking to a girl i know, and her friend said that we look alike. I found it bad when I heard the girl whisper 'at least I don't have a big ugly birthmark on my face'. It really upsets me to think of the kind of things people say behind my back and I feel ugly I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to do in these circumstances?:confused:

missy 06-05-2011 11:37 PM

I have no advice really. I just wanted to say hi and welcome.

Everyone will tell you that the kind of girls who do that aren't worth having, and you probably know that already. It doesn't make it any easier. You just have to continue to treat the girls you like well and eventually, the right one will stick.

Missy

PMadden 06-06-2011 04:18 PM

Thank you very much for the advice Missy! I guess what you suggest is right. After all my hemangioma is gradually reducing in size, and I only noticed today how much better I felt getting all of this off my chest :)

jpuritz 09-02-2011 01:13 AM

I totally agree with Missy here.

In addition though, I kind of see my birth mark as a ward- if you didn't have a birthmark on your cheek, those girls may not say mean things about you, but they'd still be just as mean. It keeps away those who think more of appearance than character.

Not sure if I phrased it right... so maybe you should just take Missy's advice and forget I posted words.

missy 09-02-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpuritz (Post 24065)
I totally agree with Missy here.

In addition though, I kind of see my birth mark as a ward- if you didn't have a birthmark on your cheek, those girls may not say mean things about you, but they'd still be just as mean. It keeps away those who think more of appearance than character.

Not sure if I phrased it right... so maybe you should just take Missy's advice and forget I posted words.

You phrased it perfectly! I'm glad you said that about those girls. They would be just as mean, no matter what. It's kind of nice that you made it so easy for them, since they probably aren't smart enough to think of something good on their own.

:)

Missy