Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   AVM Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Compression stocking for calf haemangioma (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=5642)

Jtest123 02-03-2012 12:38 PM

Compression stocking for calf haemangioma

Hi All,

Has anyone tried using compression stockings for calf haemangioma? Just thought I would share our experience which might help some of you.

My son was diagnosed at age 8 (he's now 14) with intramuscular haemangioma in his right calf which involved all 3 muscle groups: peroneal, gastrocnemius and soleus. His right calf was noticeably larger and perpetually "turgid".

By the time he was 12, the pain became very frequent, almost daily (he could not straighten his leg when in pain and had to hop on one foot and was taking ibuprofen regularly to control the pain). Surgery was not an option as his haemangioma was extensive. We decided to try sclerotherapy and most unfortunately, it did not help his hemangioma but the alcohol injured his peroneal nerve instead. He suffered a complete foot-drop as a result and was put on an Ankle-Foot-Orthosis so that he could walk without tripping over his own foot. Thankfully, his peroneal nerve recovered eventually (after several months of anguish of having to live with both haemangioma and foot-drop).

After the whole episode (which now puts both surgery and sclerotherapy as too high risk for us), we were told by the doctor to try compression stocking (specs: 20-30mmHg, below knee, open toe). This simple solution has worked very well so far! It has been a year and my son hardly suffers from pain as long as he puts on his compression stocking and is able to walk and run without problems. He doesn't wear the stockings to sleep and at home, he is often able to go without stockings too.

Hope this helps.

missy 02-04-2012 12:12 AM

Hi and welcome!

Thank you for posting all that. It will help other parents and patients to read about others' experiences.

I wish I had a compression stocking that worked so well! I need a whole body one! LOL

Missy

pinky lim 02-22-2012 02:53 PM

compression stocking for children

Dear all ,
I would like to enquire where I can get compression stocking for asian children ( my daughter has been diagnosed hemangioma ).

Thank you .

Best regard ,
pinky lim

Jtest123 03-04-2012 11:38 PM

Hi Pinky,

May I know which country are you from? We are actually from Singapore. We were refered by our hospital here to contact their local suppliers directly for my son's size. Alternately, you can check with your local pharamcy (which usually carry only adult sized stockings) and ask them to indent for you.

You may also consider ordering online (eg Amazon.com) as there are many selections available. Sizing charts are available for each brand (you will have to individually search the manufacturer's website for the sizing charts).

Also you may want to first discuss with your daughter's doctor on the suitability of compression stockings (and the required grade of compression).

Julia

danielagomez 06-28-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinky lim (Post 24806)
Dear all ,
I would like to enquire where I can get compression stocking for asian children ( my daughter has been diagnosed hemangioma ).

Thank you .

Best regard ,
pinky lim

Pinky
You should shop online to get your compression stockings.
Many sites ship all over the world at an affordable rate now.
I am in the states but I buy from www.LegsTherapy.com
Great service, Great Price, Fast Shipping

Daniela

uk 09-25-2012 11:49 AM

Hi Pinky,

I am in Canada and you can get this from medicalmart their website is www.medimart.com.

Thanks,

UK