Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   AVM Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   stages? (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=598)

kind 04-12-2004 11:31 PM

stages?

I am new to this board. In fact my first post was just the other day.
Altough today i have a question.
My daughter is 5 yrs old.Had this since birth.
We are unsure of what my daughter has. Dr.cohen has labeled it vascular. Since it grows and hemangiomas do not grow. It is a diaper area growth. To me it looks just like most hemangiomas but it is darker in color kinda looks bruised all the time.

Ok my question is....
Today when she got out of the bath.I was getting her dressed and as usual i looked at her boo-boo as we call it. and Right under it looks like a huge bruise the same color and width as the one she has had from birth.
I am a little freaked because she has not been hurt down there and it does not hurt like a bruise does when you touch it. It does look to me to be a little raised also.Could it be a bolld clot maybe?
Does anyone know if this is common for vascular malformations. I was going to call dr. cohen in the morning anyways. But just looking for other in put.

eprmo 04-13-2004 01:11 AM

Re:stages?

Hemangioma's do grow..There are different kinds, and different reactions. Some are flat, some swell, some "move" all over the skin, other's remain in one place.. they all seem to have a life of their own.

.....Vascular malformations also may look blueish in color..they "swell and become raised"......some get reddish color on them, other's don't. Unfortunatley if you see something new,,it is moe then likely not a hemangioma, but another vascular malformation.. I'd definitley let Dr. Cohen know...and as soon as possible, so he can keep an eye on it.

Elissa

Elissa

kind 04-13-2004 12:28 PM

Well my daughters is growing since birth,It is dark purple kinda lumpy. This new mark is about the size of a quarter right below the one she has had from birth.
It is dark purple and looks just like her spot did when she was born.

christielee21 04-14-2004 02:16 AM

i have venous malformations. mine started as a dot on my foot when i was born.. and grew into larger than a golfball sized formation. lots of spontaneous and smaller malformations popped up as i grew... and are still continuing to spread today (i'm 18).

mine is dark blue but the more shallow ones have purple coloring.

i don't know if that helps any? good luck!

Sierra Girl 04-22-2004 03:24 AM

My daughter has had a Venous Malformation probably since birth. I noticed a lump on the side of her jaw probably when she was about 4 years old. The lump was particularly noticible when she leaned over or was lying down. I didn't seek any medical advise until she was about 8 yrs old. (She is now 15 years old) When she was 10 I took her to University of California San Francisco and she was seen by Ilona Friede of the Vascular Anomalies Clinic. Ilona was very knowledgable and I trusted her judgement in that it should be left alone. Her lump is sometimes uncomfortable for for her when it swells up. She playa the Sax and it sometimes swells up when she plays which can be embarrassing for her to explain. When she is upright there is only slight swelling and bluish color. Overall it is not a big problem. After reading some of the discussions I'm concerned that it may grow bigger or change. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it will not get worse in time. :) :)

kind 04-24-2004 12:37 PM

I called dr.cohen, He said to watch it and if it caused any pain to call him back.
Her radiology appt is on the 3rd so he is going to come to that one. To dicuss it with us and Dr.sally mitchell.
I have always been worried about my daughters because of the location of it(on her privates) and i am just worried about trauma to it.

kind 05-03-2004 11:58 PM

well we saw Dr.sally mitchell (radiology) and dr.cohen today. It is a venous malformation.DR. mitchell wants to perform a embolzation we are going to do that after our vacation so most likely the first week in july.
We both agreed to let her enjoy some of her summer as she may need more then one treatment.