Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Adults Living with Birthmarks (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Antonio's Story (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=5999)

antcarkel 08-28-2012 08:58 AM

Antonio's Story

Hey everyone,

My name is Antonio and I am living with a birthmark on my face. I have brown skin and my birth mark is light brown. It could actually be described as a series of abstract-shaped patches within close-proximity of each other. However you describe it, it's still a birthmark that makes me feel branded.

People made fun of me growing up, which resulted in me being self-conscious. I was often called Scar Face or Patches and it made me extremely angry. Some people stare and I can tell what they're looking at. I was in the military for six years and while no one made fun of me outright, I knew that some people thought my condition was amusing. My birthmark is one reason why I developed social anxiety.

I have gotten better, but there are phases that I go through where I'm depressed, and angry. I really want to have surgery, but being a broke college student means that I have to wait until my finances or more stable. Today I decided to search for forums for people with birthmarks and I stumbled upon this website. I'm glad that I found this and I hope to connect with a lot of people here.

Sincerely
Antonio

antcarkel 08-28-2012 09:04 AM

It appears that I posted this in the wrong forum, I'm sorry.

missy 08-28-2012 02:15 PM

Hi and welcome!

You didn't post in the wrong forum at all. Continue, please.

What school are you attending?

Missy

antcarkel 08-28-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy (Post 25748)
Hi and welcome!

Continue, please.

What school are you attending?

Missy

Hi Missy,

I am currently attending University of Phoenix, which I kind of regret. I don't want to be associated with a College that people see as a diploma mill, so I'm transferring to a not-for-profit school. I'm also changing my major from Organizational Security Management to Marketing.

missy 08-29-2012 12:13 PM

I didn't know people had any bad associations with University of Phoenix, but I haven't looked into universities in, ahem, many years now.

:)

Missy

antcarkel 09-01-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy (Post 25750)
I didn't know people had any bad associations with University of Phoenix, but I haven't looked into universities in, ahem, many years now.

:)

Missy

Many for-profit universities have come under fire lately due to politicians, and brick-and-mortar university personnel questioning the quality of education. The prerequisites for joining UoP are minor. A few students have even claimed that some employers skip resumes from Phoenix graduates. As a veteran, I want to make sure that I'm using my military benefits to their full potential. I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my college degree.