Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Sun exposure after laser treatment
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 AM

Default Information

Thanks to everyone for your support! I broke down today and called Addie's doctor's nurse. She was very reassuring to me. She said that while the spots are purple, we should really minimize the sun exposure. She said that the 60 sunblock and hat were great. I also told her that Addie seemed to be healing slower this time. Of course, I thought it was because of the sun exposure. She said that if she had gotten to much sun that the spots would have turned a brownish color, which they did not. Whew!! She said the slower healing was coincendental. I also asked her what would the worst case scenario be if the spots did turn brown. She stated they would eventually go away, but it would take a long time (ie. 6 months to a year). Anyway, she made me feel better, as well as, you all. Thanks :.)
I was proud of myself for marching her right up to that baseball field. She got a lot of looks, but one my son's baseball team members really put it in perspective for me...after numerous questions about her face and what happend, etc., the 6 year old little boy was quiet for awhile, then he look Addie right in the eye and said, "You sure are a pretty little girl." I almost cried. If any of you have been around kids that are 5 or 6 year old, they tell you their honest opinion..no holds barred. When Addie first started treatment, I kept her at home a lot. I want her to know that I am not ashamed nor should she ever be..She is beautiful..and extremely sassy and independent at 18 months old.
Okay, the antibiotic ointment question..our doctor says to only use it if the spots start scabbing. However, I do put in on anyway for the first week after treatment. I put in on about twice a day. This past weekend, I put the ointment on then applied the sunscreen. I waited about 30 minutes between the ointment application and the sunscreen application. I just felt like the sunscreen should be on top for maximum effect. I don't know if that was correct or not, but it worked for us. Also, my daugher thought it was neat to hold the umbrella. I used it to shield some of the sun. Hope that helps.