Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Is my 3 month old daughter's hemangioma shrinking, or should I have it removed?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 PM

Default Is my 3 month old daughter's hemangioma shrinking, or should I have it removed?

My daughter is almost 3 months old and has a capillary hemangioma on her lower left lid. About a month ago a ophthalmologist checked her eye and said it was not presently pushing on the eyeball and we would keep a close look at it, he also referred me to a opti plastic surgeon who I went to see today. In the past month the hemangioma seems to have grown very little, I don't really see a change. The surgeon was all for removing it, but I feel that it is more for monetary reasons than for her well being. In order to remove it he wants to inject it with steroids and then excise it, both requiring anesthesia. I am hoping that by posting the pics below someone could tell me if this hemangioma is in the early stages of involution. There are some white spots but it still looks pretty red. What do you think? I have scheduled a surgery date, just in case it starts to grow fast again, but I am very nervous. To me, if it is not pressing on the eyeball, then it is more for cosmetic reasons. Do these hemangiomas have periods of slow or no growth and then pick up speed again? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
<br>

Proud mom to Treyton (born 3/9/06) & Summer (born 8/15/08)