Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - New here - 6 month old with superficial H on face
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 PM

Hi Shannon!
I have 3 children with hemangiomas. My 5 year old had one on her upper lip and the skin reaching up to her nose. It grew rapidly and ulcerated so she went on the oral steroids at 10 weeks of age. I felt it was necessary to give the steroids a try because she was in a lot of pain and it was becoming really disfiguring to her lip/nose area. It didn't start to involute on its own until about 12 or 13 months of age.

My other daughter (who is almost 2) had a pretty large hemangioma all over her hand and wrist. It got so puffy and red it looked like it was just going to burst! The same doc who treated our daughter's lip recommended no treatment for her hand. He said that location rarely causes a problem and that it was likely to go away on it's own (which it is doing). We started to see the first signs of involution in her at about 10 months of age. It is still visible but has faded A LOT!

My other daughter (her twin) has a small superficial one under her arm...it started to involute when she was about 18 months old.

I'm not an expert at all, but I haven't heard of too many hemangiomas that involute as early as 6 months...but I'm not sure...most of what I've seen is like a year or later. If it's not causing ulceration or pain, maybe laser might be an option to consider if you want to do something. The steroids can affect the whole body (since it's taken orally) and it was a really hard decision for us. Our daughter's was really growing out of control and causing her a lot of pain and problems...that's why we did the steroids. We actually are looking into laser now for her to diminish the last bits of her hemangioma. If you want to see my kids' hemangioma photo albums, please email me at hohen13@comcast.net and I'll send them to you. Neither of them are really as severe as what you tend to see on internet and you can get a pretty good idea of the progression. By the way, your son is so adorable! You would think people nowadays would at least recognize his hemangioma as a type of birthmark and catch themselves before they open their mouths!!! Believe me, we have been right where you are!!! Good luck with whatever you choose! Keep us posted!

Shannon (from NH)