Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Nevus of Ota?
Thread: Nevus of Ota?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeinkc View Post
Hi,

I am 32 and have a Nevus of Ota birthmark around my left eye. Basically my birthmark makes me look like I have a black eye and there is no shortage of people who ask me "what happened?". I have only recently found out what the official name of my type of birthmark is. Most of the resources I have found online pertain to PWS marks. This is mainly because my type of mark is most prevalent in Asian countries (I'm not Asian -- just lucky I guess! :-).

Does anyone else on this forum have Nevus of Ota? If so, I'd love to connect. I'd also love to connect with anyone who has any type of facial birthmark.

I do use make up and it works okay -- not 100% coverage, but I don't like to be without it.

Looking forward to "meeting" others. Thanks.

Dee
Hi Dee, I have a blue green birthmark which covers 25% of my face, including my right eye. It's become darker and larger as I've aged. I have two really fabulous dermotologists in my area who keep an eye on it for me. I had a biopsy a couple of years ago and thankfully there was nothing to worry about. I used to never go without my make because I was tired of people asking me what happened. I'm older now and don't care. Plus I've been able to help younger people when they see that they aren't the only one out there.

There is medical make up available now whichi is very good. It's expensive but it matchers your skin perfectly. I'm not Asian, but as I age, I get asked that question more often and even Asians think I'm 1/2 Asian. So possibly my ancestors may have come from the region of Ota.