Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Advice neeede quickly
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 AM

Hi there! My daughter has an upper lip hemangioma. I'm not sure what the most common treatments are for lips, but I can tell you what happened with us. She had a quickly growing lip hemangioma that ulcerated when she was about 2 months old. She was put on oral steroids at that time (this was 6 years ago, they didn't really offer propanolol to us as an option then) She remained on the steroids until she was about 10 months old (started at a high dose and slowly tapered over a long period of time.) Our doctor mentioned that lips can be kind of tricky in terms of involution and having them look right in the end. So I'm glad we chose to do the medicine...I think it really stopped the growth and perhaps prevented major surgery for her down the road. She is now 6 years old and did have surgery last year to remove scar tissue from her previous ulceration and to just kinda reshape her lip a bit..it was relatively easy and the outcome was super! So I think it wouldn't hurt to look into the steroid or propanolol option...or at least consider it. Our daughter didn't really have any major side effects so it ended up being worth it for us. Here's some pictures if you would like to see:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...l=a18fd285 c7

Let me know if you have any questions! I feel like I was in your shoes just yesterday. I know it can be stressful trying to figure things out. Hang in there!

Shannon