Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - ANY learning difficulties in children exposed to general anesthesia in infant-hood?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Our son is almost 4 years old and has had 11 laser treatments under general anesthesia. Honestly, I was unaware of the suspected connection between GA and learning disabilities, but I can't say I'm surprised. Still, I would've made the same choice to continue his treatment.

I am the oldest of 7 children and helped raise many other kids outside of my family, so I've been around kids a lot. My son is one of the most observant, highly processed thinking kids I've ever been around. He scares me some days with the things he comes up with...makes this Momma feel pretty inadequate! I really don't think GA has had an adverse affect on his ability to learn or process.

That being said, I know that not everything effects everybody. But we have seen a dramatic change in his PWS since beginning treatment, and since it was on his face with possible complications to his ear, mouth, and eyes if it were to grow, I have no doubt that we did the right thing. Everyone has to live with the choices they make for their kids - and it's not always easy.