Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Why should I have lazer treatment?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Lise

Default Re:Why should I have lazer treatment?

Ameski,

I'm 59-year old. I have an arterioveinous malformation of the lip. I understand how you feel. During many years, my lip kept enlarging and I was reluctant to have it treated because the procedures were risky and the results uncertain. Finally, I had a surgery last year and I'm very happy with the results.

I always hated it when people would suggest to me that I should get it treated because, like you, it was not a health problem. I felt like they were saying: "It's ugly."

I would be the first one to tell you: "Don't get it treated if you're happy like that." I've been perfectly happy most of the time with my big lip. But you're still very young and your PWS will only worsen probably -- the lumps will multiply and get larger, no?

We tend not to see our worsening condition because the process is very slow, very gradual. But the more we wait to get treated, the more difficult it is to treat. If I were you, I would put my energies and my money in treatments (of course they cause pain, swelling, etc. but it's temporary). My self confidence improved all the time through years, but I became very worried when I realized that I would be an old lady frightening kids.

Lise