Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - son with PWS on torso - what do we do?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 AM

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. Parenting a child with a birthmark can be emotional sometimes, and I just really appreciate knowing that you all are out there and I am not alone.

abatie - I hope that someday I am couragesous like you and just 'stop folks in their tracks' when they start making assumptions. In the past I've just remained quiet, but I am starting to find my voice....I cannot believe that woman that got out of the pool. How horrible!

Katie - That is good news for me. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm sorry your daughter's treatments on her leg haven't worked out as well has you'd hoped . Maybe with more treatments it will improve.

Swaltjen - We were really concerned about anasthesia too when our son was still an infant. Now that he talks and runs it's less of an issue for us. My other concern is letting him have a say in all of this. He is too little to even understand that he has his birthmark, and I have no idea how he will feel about it as he matures. Of course, I want him to be fully accepting of himself as the perfect little man that he is, but I know the world can be cruel and I don't know how he will feel about it as he gets older. I also worry what message I am sending to him if I start hauling him to doctors for laser surgeries before he even has a clue as to what is happening to him. Will he resent me as he gets older for not loving him exactly as he is? Or will he be upset with me that I didn't do more for him when he was still little? Such agonizing things to think about! This is so hard to navigate, and I feel like I'll never really know if I am doing the right thing.