Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - To do or not to do daughter's second surgery for cosmetic reasons?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 AM

I have felt this way before. It is agonizing because you are trying to do something to help your daughter but it involves pain and anesthesia, etc. and these are not things that mothers naturally like to do their children!! It's almost like you have to go against your natural instinct or something...at least that is how I felt??!! However, I kept thinking about the long run- If I have the chance to do this now, to help her avoid troubles later, then it would be worth it. I kept reminding myself that she wouldn't remember it very much (my daughter was 5 when she had her surgery), but she would remember possibly being teased and constantly having to answer questions about her lip hemangioma all the time if we left it as is through her school years. There is no right or wrong answer. I'm sure my daughter would have been fine if we didn't do the surgery and it would be part of her life in a different way, for better or worse. But after thinking of all the pieces and knowing that we could do something...we did. And I don't regret it. I think it's natural to second guess- I did up until the moment of surgery and even in the days after, but in the end I am happy with our decision. It took a while for it to look the way it does now. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you make your final decision. Here's a link to her album if you would like to see the process we went through:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...l=a 18fd285c7

Good luck!
Shannon