Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Nevus of Ota?
Thread: Nevus of Ota?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopplerMel2000 View Post
I'm a 29 year old Caucasian female with a Nevus of Ota also under my left eye. I never had anything there growing up and it came out once I hit puberty around 13. I had multiple teachers at school ask me if "everything was ok at home" and it was extremely frustrating and very damaging to my self esteem. At 16, my dad took me to my first laser treatment and I believe I had 2 sessions with little to no change. I've spent years trying different makeup and techniques but it has still been a huge issue emotionally still to this day. Last year I decided to get back into the laser thinking maybe after all these years the laser would be better. I've had about 3 treatments within the past year and I noticed it being a little lighter but nothing like I was hoping for. At $250 a session, I can't afford these treatments any longer or the added frustration of it not working. I struggle with people always asking me "what happened?" "Who hit you?" Or more specifically the "who is he? Ill beat him up for you" whenever I'm not wearing makeup so I completely relate to everyone here and this message board is truly a blessing bringing us all together like this. It's a very lonely feeling having this because I've never known anyone else with it.

I'm now looking into a different option, one that I never even considered before. Flesh colored tattoos. I've looked this up and found that although its somewhat uncommon, it sounds like it has worked for some people. A lot of people say it would not be a good idea because of the different skin tones during different seasons and it "wouldn't look natural" but you know what? Anything that makes it look less like a bruise I am all for because that is the most frustrating part of this condition. I would have to imagine that even if it didn't look too natural, it's got to be easier to cover than blue! I feel so bad for my boyfriend because I know people see me and look at him like he's a woman beater and I just hate it. I emailed my tattoo place that I've gotten tattoos from in the past to see what they say. I will let you all know what I find out and if I do end up doing this, I'll be posting before and after photos. at this point, I'm willing to try anything to not look like a victim of domestic abuse!
Have you tried the tattoo? I've been considering that myself and am wondering if it made any improvements if you did. Would appreciate any information. Thanks