Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Nevus of Ota?
Thread: Nevus of Ota?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Hello! I’m a 29 year old Caucasian female. I was born with a very faint blue mark on my right eyelid. As I was born breech, it was suspected that it was just a bruise from my knee. It quickly became apparent that it wasn’t a bruise. As I’ve grown up the birthmark became much darker and spread. It now covers the entire right side of my face and is still spreading, now across my nose. I’ve asked my husband if he’ll still love me when I’m 90 and my entire face is blue. When I was about 14 I tried laser treatments. My parents were always very supportive and anything that was ever done was because I wanted to try it. I believe I ended up having 4 or 5 treatments. After the last treatment, my eye was swollen shut for about a week. That’s when I decided it was enough. My birthmark was lightened just a little, but became darker again. I have never met anyone else with “my birthmark”. I don’t have anything to compare to. I just have my experiences and my own thoughts. Not only is my birthmark on my face, but it is also in my mouth, sinuses, ear canal, etc. When my wisdom teeth were removed, they said the roots were even blue. I remember as a child seeing dermatologists and having to sit for what seemed like an eternity as medical students lined up to see me. It was the same thing over and over again. “Oh wow! Open your mouth please. Hmmm!” And my favorite, “Yeah, we’ve never seen anything like this before!” I’ve signed all kinds of paperwork to release images to be used in text books. I’ve heard all kinds of things over the years from “who beat you up” to “were you in a wreck?”
I have two boys and my youngest has a blue mongolian spot on his back. It’s like I feel a bit guilty for it because I don’t want him to experience things the way that I did. It’s not fun when someone looks at you and says, “Oh, I’m so sorry. That must be horrible!” I chose a long time ago not to wear makeup to cover it. First because