My daughter's hemangioma was on her upper lip so I may not be able to help with the scarring question...hers did not really scar at all when she had her surgery because of the way her lip was cut. But I can definitely identify with your dilemma for the surgery decision...it was not a clear cut decision for us either and I agonized about it for about a year. We decided to do the surgery the summer before she started kindergarten (she had just turned 5) and I think this ended up being a good time to do it for us. She wasn't too traumatized by it and recovered very quickly...she barely remembers it and she is 8 now. I saw the most dramatic involution of her hemangioma from about age 1-3. After that it still continued to fade but the bulkiness did not change much. I knew it looked ok as it was, but I wasn't sure if she would want it fixed when she was older, so we decided to do the surgery then because we knew it would be covered by insurance then and may not be later as an older child or teenager. We decided to take care of it and be done with it so she would not have to fret and go through the surgery as an older child. I feel like it was a good decision for us, but I know she would have been fine if we hadn't done it as well. Our pediatrician told us, you really can't make the "wrong" decision...you are just trying to do what you think is best and she will be fine either way! I felt like that took the pressure off a bit.
How did your appointment go with the plastic surgeon? What did they suggest? Good luck with your decision. I know it's not easy!
VBF Hemangioma Forum Moderator