Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - My story of living with a Giant Hairy Nevus on my back!!
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire pixie View Post
Hi, my name is Sarah, I'm 22 and have a hairy nevus covering about a third of my body. It wraps around my torso and in the back it goes from my shoulder blades down to below my butt, and on the front it starts around the middle of my ribcage and covers some of my thighs (thank god it's not on my breasts!). When I was an infant my parents opted not to have any surgery because they didn't want me to go through any unnecessary trauma and decided they would leave that decision to me when I was 15 or 16, figuring surgery techniques would be better by then as well. When I was a kid I didn't care much about it, all I knew was that once a month I had to see my doctor and have pictures taken. Once I hit about 9 or 10 though, I started getting bullied a lot in school over it. It's really not visible but you know how kids play, so from doing my "gymnastics" stunts my shirt would ride up and kids would see my stomach or my side and from then on it was hell. I actually had to be pulled out of two separate schools. When I was a teenager I had self esteem issues, and almost opted to have some of it removed when I was 17, but decided everyone could get over my birthmark and I started caring less. I even managed to find sweet people to date. As an adult I've realized that as long as you don't make a big deal out of it, other people won't either. I've actually managed to date some people who thought it was neat and even pretty, and the person I'm with now is glad that I didn't have it removed and even gets a little sad over my biopsy scars.
Sounds like my nevus... OMG you have whole support system here. I'm from Poland and I'm 29 there's nothing like this in my country...
well... when I read your describtion of your nevus it looks/sounds like mine.
Life with the huge hairy nevus is very hard and almost 30 years it tooks me to start searching for help, I'm glad when I read that you're happy, that you found someone who loves you just the way you are... Beacause that is the biggest problem for me to cope with and I'm still making (as you said) big deal out of it.... but is time for me to change... I hope
I still can't accept the fact that development of medicine is so advanced and they can't do sth that I would look normal...
but I'm happy that there are people who can understand me here...