Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - AVM in hand and arm
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Tandy

Default Re:AVM in hand and arm

My 5 year old son has a VM on his right hand and arm. It took us a while to figure out what it was. When he was born his right hand looked slightly bruised, they said that it would go away. It never did, but it continued to get worse. We went to a couple of doctors in Dallas, then we were referred to Dr. Wayne Yakes in Denver.

I will tell you -- there is no quick fix. My son has been going almost every 8 weeks since he was 1 1/2 years old. Dr. Yakes uses the embolization treatment. Since his VM is on his hand, it is a very sensitive area. Therefore, they can only inject from 4 to 6 cc at a time. He has had 18 treatments and this last time he had back to back treatments (one one day and one again the next day). They put him completely under and he has an IV. I think Dr. Yakes is great, but it's a slow process. I'm not sure how long my son will have treatments, but I know that it's getting better. At this point, I think we've prevented it from getting larger which is a step. I think eventually, they'll get it. He has also started Occupational Therapy and I think this is really going to help.

I would consider contacting Dr. Yakes. They can counsel you over the phone and you can send pictures or MRIs. We live in the Texas panhandle so it's only about a 8-9 hour drive. Luckily we've been able to go, but it has been financially draining. However, I know there are many others that travel much further.

I wish each and every one of you the best of luck in your treatments. And if there are any other Yake's patients out there, I'd love to correspond with you. Also, any one else receiving the embolization treatments with ethonol alcohol from a different doctor - I'd also be curious of your results. I'm sure many of you want to be sure the treatment you receive is the right one, just as I worry as a parent that I'm doing the right thing for my son. Feel free to email me!