Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - a little about my life with an hemangioma
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 03:52 AM
krz10lzbth

Default a little about my life with an hemangioma

I'm 33 years old and developed an hemagioma just after birth.* It grew to be huge in my right cheek and was removed when I was 2 1/2.* I have had several reconstructive surgeries but still don't look completely normal.* I doubt I ever will.* For a long time, that bothered me.* I was the kid in the back of the class with the hair covering her face.* I was the one who never ever offered comments in class and tried really hard to be invisible. Now I demand the attention of about a hundred students a day.* I am a high school teacher.* I still get self-conscious at times.* But I get over it.* Growing up, I had a really strong support system and a home where I felt completely safe.* I think that support and safety was vital in my development.* I can't imagine going through that without the unconditional love of family and a few close friends.* My heart goes out to anyone who feels completely isolated with something like this.* What we go through might not ever be completely understood by the nonafflicted, but that doesn't mean we can't find some comfort and strength in their love and concern for us.* --Kristen