Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Dyan's story
Thread: Dyan's story
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Lucy784

Default Re: Dyan's story

HI Dyan,

My name is Cassie. I am 20 year old female (I can send some pictures if you would like to put a name to the face). I gre up in Orange County, and I now live in the Bay Area (San Francisco). I was born with a PWS on the right side of my face (covered about 75%). It is a rich cherry color that I have grown to love (not really..but I have to deal with it). I have had 40+ laser surgeries, and it now covers about 25% of the right side of my face. It is underneath my right eye, about an inch in diameter and extends all the way down to my lip (it is a little on my lip and right gum..not that noticible). My parents started treatment when I was a little baby. And it has faded significantly. It is a very aggressive stain and does not want to go away! When I look at baby pictures my mother used to smother me with makeup, and I for sure understand why she did it...even though a four year old running around with a pound of foundation on doesn't seem right if you ask for my opinion!

Now that I am older, It does affect me more and more. However, I try not to think about it. I do get sick of applying layers of makeup, and fearing that if I don't people will look at me funny or kinda stare a little bit. It is actually kinda funny! I have blue blue blue eyes (like a Husky)..and people will come up to me and say "You have the most georgeous eyes I have ever seen in my entire life"..and sometimes I truly am flattered and other times I think to myself...Are you kidding me I have a huge mark on the right side of my face aren't you kinda curious about it? (Even though I want to crawl into a hole when people even ask me about my birthmark). Or when people say to me.."I wish I could have your eyes for a day! And i think to myself...If only I could have perfect skin! I have said before there are the good days..sometimes I do not even notice it, and there are the really crappy days when I do wish I could have perfect complection! I look in the mirror and sometimes do not even notice it and other times it is all I see! When I apply the makeup I feel I am trying to trick people...or If I take photographs I have to take them from the left side. It is very hard to deal with.

I think I have rambled long enough! Hope to keep in touch! I found your words very inspiring!
-Cassie
Lucy784@aol.com