TriCare Question - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM

Question TriCare Question

Hi everyone,

Has anyone has success (or failure) with getting tricare to treat Hemangioma? This would include surgery? How about for out of network providers?

I have drafted up a letter to request out of network coverage per the guide on this site, but I am not sure if TriCare will even read it! Will they even consider it?

Thanks if anyone can help, although I know TriCare is a healthcare that not many have experience with.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Administrator

You might try our insurance appeal expert:

http://birthmark.org/experts.php

I have no idea if she has experience with TriCare and it really is a TOUGH insurance to deal with. Try a search here for "military" and see if any parents have had success.

Missy
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 AM

Exclamation Thanks!

I went to the TriCare benefits office today, and submitted my case. I wrote a 3 page letter on Eva's Hemangioma, as well as facts, figures, and Dr. Waner's credentials. I also included the opinions of other doctors, along with photos of the proliferation of her Hemangioma. I am SOOO scared and nervous of the outcome, but they said they'd get back to me with an answer in 2-3 DAYS! Also, they said that when the doctor fills out a diagnosis code(?), that as long as he doesn't write cosmetic, that it'll be approved.

I don't know if she was just trying to be nice, but I'm hoping that the approval board has a heart. I will let everyone know how it goes, and if I have success, I'll provide any and all info I used so that hopefully someone else can use it too! TriCare is tricky, because they can be great and approve things quickly, and other times they won't budge. Ok, I'll let you know what happens!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Do let us know how it goes! TriCare can be really hard to deal with!

Missy
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 PM

Smile

Have you tried e-mailing Dr. Thompson from this site? He's the "Military Expert." He replied to my e-mail within 2 days and was very helpful & informative!