Having 1st Vbeam treatment in 2 days! - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM

Smile Having 1st Vbeam treatment in 2 days!

I am a single mother of 3. 2 of my own and have legal guardianship of my 16 yr old sister after losing her dad and losing our mom suddenly about 2 years ago. I am almost 30 and just recently have started research about my PWS on my right side of my face. My mom always told me it was just a skin discoloration and that to get it removed was super expensive.

But about 2 months ago I noticed it has been changing in color.. I have spots now that are a deep purple.. and the texture is changing. I have been super self consious about my PWS most of my life.. and my current boyfriend didn't know I had it for the first year of our relationship.. I learned when I was a teenager to master makeup concealing.

I work in a very top notch accounting firm here in Oregon.. and only one of the shareholders knows about my PWS and the treatment because I needed to ok the time off to go early to my appt. I chose to do it before a 3 day weekend to allow myself as much time as possible for swelling and bruising.

I am very excited to take care of this.. I have wanted this for so long.. and my boyfriend offered to pay for the treatment since the insurance battle is long and sometimes doesn't pan out. He came to the appt with me and knows how important this would be for me.

I am anxious about my appearance after the treatment and have read various results.

My PWS is about the size of a quarter on my inner right cheek close to my nose. I realized this weekend that along the bridge of my nose on the side of my face hurts to touch and assume it has some connection to the PWS right there.

Can anyone offer any suggestions of anything to do before the treatment and after to help recovery?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Well, bless your heart!!

Would ice packs help? We have one of those gel-filled ice bags that you can reuse... muuuuuch nicer than the old fashioned kind or a ziplock baggie of ice. So, if you need ice, spring for the gel-filled pack.

Otherwise, I think staying in (out of the sun) and planning some rest is advised. Why not plan a movie marathon and get some dvd's and popcorn. Treat yourself to a couple of pajama days... you'll have earned them!

Friday is your appointment? We'll be thinking about you!

Missy
Old 09-03-2009, 03:47 PM

Default Having 1 vbeam treatment tomorrow!

I have the ice packs in the freezer. I have the really nice thick plastic like material filled with gel from my Physical Therapist.. so I am set.

I already have 3 movies lined up from Netflix =] and popcorn ready.

I made no plans this weekend because I have no idea how I will react..

Thanks for the kind words =]
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Administrator

You are allllll set.

Best of luck!! Come in and let us know how you are this weekend.

Missy
Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Barely slept last night- surgery today at 4!

I will be on here most likely tuesday morning at some point.

Barely slept last night, just worrying about the whole thing. A part of me is weird about letting it go.. I have wanted it gone most of my life.. but I lost my mom.. and some how it connects. But I know after I go through with it I will be so much happier!

Have a great Labor Day!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Default 2 hours after treatment

2 Hours After Treatment: So the treatment went alot smoother than I anticipated. I was extremely nervous. She took off my make up and had me put on protective goggles for my eyes. And began setting up the machine. She asked if I was ready to say goodbye to my Port Wine Stain... I anxiously said yes!

The you could feel the cooling spray come out first and the laser shortly after felt like a rubberband snapping against my face. Some parts stung really close to my nose.. but the rest was easliy tolerable. She said it was a good sign that the PWs started bruising right away. The treatment took about 10 minutes total. And afterwards my face felt really tight.

I looked in the mirror shortly after, it was black! I thought, how am I going to cover this??

So I went home and iced it on and off all evening. My treatment was at 4pm. I slept elevated, she said it keeps swelling down. Shortly after the treatment my face was a little puffy on that side, but mild. The ice felt great against it.

I woke up the next morning and it was still really dark but yuo could see the veins in it if you looked close. The dr said not to use hot water to wash my face, to think of it as a sunburn. Steam, or warm water.. stings.

It feels like a burn, but not... it feels like a bruise, but not.. and feels like a scab.. but not. Weird to describe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 hours after treatment.jpg (29.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Smile 2 days after treatment

2 days after treatment: The last 2 mornings I wake up it has changed significantly over night. It went from Black, to Dark Purple, to medium/ light purple with some dark red.

Only iced a little longer the second morning. Slept elevated for 2 nights.. dr said swelling usually subsides about 3 days after treatement and I will notice changes for the next few weeks. It takes about 2 weeks for my body to break it down and absorb it back into the body.

I am excited to see what happens!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 days later.jpg (19.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Administrator

heeeeeeeeeeeeey. Not bad at all!!

Got a laugh at "sleeping elevated." I have a picture of you 2 or 3 feet over the bed, like the exorcist.

Glad you are well. Will you have to take more time off work or will you be going right on back?

Missy
Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Smile Back in the saddle...

Back in the saddle! I had it done friday afternoon.. so I had a 3 day weekend to see how I would respond to treatment. So I went to work tuesday morning! I had a sworm of people curious about the treatment.

Alot different than I expected.. in a great way. With just a little puffiness in the PWS itself, and today 6 days later.. the bruising has gone down and today it looks like it did before treatment.. but a little lighter. I was told it takes about 2 weeks for it to break down and muy body to absorb it.

It already looks better this morning than before treatment.. it is amazing how different it is. Initially the darkest part was by my nose, and now the darkest part is on the outer edges.

Treatment itself wasn't nearly as bad.. I was so freaked out reading everyone else's stories. I should have known better.. I was the same way with having my kids.. csection.

I am anxious to go to my next treatement 10.16.09.

I plan to take pictures tomorrow (1 week since treatment) to post to show the difference.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Administrator

I really am so pleased for you!! I can't wait to see the progress.

Missy