Everyone please read; Lymphatic malformation treatment. - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Lymphatic Malformations (also known as cystic hygroma and lymphangioma)

Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 AM

Exclamation Everyone please read; Lymphatic malformation treatment.

I would encourage everyone to read a paper posted recently under research papers on this sight. http://174.120.2.174/pdf/LymphaticMa...nTreatment.pdf
Dr. Shiels is an Interventional Radiologist and specializes in Lymphatic Malformations.
It appears that his success rate is at the top in his field.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome,

Thanks for taking the time to stop and give your opinion here! Since your daughter's treatment, how is she doing?

Missy
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 AM

Smile Results...

She is doing great. She had a treatment with Doxycycline, middle of January and the improvement is very noticeable. My daughters suffering was much less with this, compared to OK-432 and results are much faster. We will have another treatment in Spring or summer this year.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Wonderful!! Please continue to let us know how she's doing. How many treatments would she have to have with this protocol?

Missy
Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 AM

Default Number of treatments.

She will need two treatments, total ,to get everything under control. She will have to be checked once a year, Dr. Shiels averages 1.7 treatments per patient. Some only need one treatment.
The good thing about this is, it isn't an FDA trial like OK432 and the dr. does not have to follow a protocol regulated by the FDA. The time between treatments is flexible and number of treatments are decided by patient and doctor. No other parties have a say. Dr. Shiels outcomes, using doxycycline for microcysts, is much more successful than OK432.
Thank you for your interest Missy!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator

That's interesting... I'm glad you posted it.

Please let us know what happens after the next treatment... we'll be interested to know!

Missy
Old 03-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Default Curious to know status of your daughter...

Hi Jmills,

I am new to this site (I posted my story under 9month of with Lymphatic Malformation; you can read it if you like). Anyhow I am so inspired and hopeful with your story......

We had a local ENT doctor in Las Vegas do the sclerotherapy procedure and injected Doxycycline into her left mass neck (12/09) and within two months the size significantly decreased. She looks normal. However, we did a MRI follow up check up a couple of weeks ago and discovered a few residiual fluids remain in her chest above her left lung. Now the ENT doctor is referring us to a radiologist pending date. We'll have a consultation to get a better understanding what the radiologist will do. Not sure if this person is experienced.

If you don't mind asking..how much was the cost for Dr. Shiel for you daughters treatment? You mention 2/yr treatment is necessary....now will LM reoccur again after the 2/treatment? How long will this last??

Again, thank you for shedding some positive light.....And I am truely happy that your child is recovering well....God Bless...

Please write back if you get a chance...either to my posting or this email.
Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM

My daughter has a lymphatic malformation in her leg pelvis and vagina and she has recieved 4 surgeries where she was injected with doxycycline and on the last one she was injected with doxy and pure alcohol and sadly the treatment has not been successful.. we have noticed some change but nothing dramatic its starting to seem our only option is to surgically remove it but then there is no guarantee and there are extremely high risks sorry to have dampened your positive thinking but just know that doxy dosent always work
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Hi, Miss Mummy, where was your daughter treated? From Dr. Shiels paper, their success rate is very high, you probably want to try Nationwide Children's hospital in Columbus, Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mummy View Post
My daughter has a lymphatic malformation in her leg pelvis and vagina and she has recieved 4 surgeries where she was injected with doxycycline and on the last one she was injected with doxy and pure alcohol and sadly the treatment has not been successful.. we have noticed some change but nothing dramatic its starting to seem our only option is to surgically remove it but then there is no guarantee and there are extremely high risks sorry to have dampened your positive thinking but just know that doxy dosent always work
Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 AM

We had a wonderful experience with Doxy and our son is doing great. He only required one upfront treatment and is being monitored annually. The doctor's at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati are awesome and it was definately a collaboration to decide the best form of treatment. I will caution some of you.....we initally met with a surgeon who wanted to remove a large portion of our son's cheek. Thank God we checked into other options.