Any amputees out there? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 03-21-2010, 05:00 AM

Default Any amputees out there?

After 27 years of living with a severe unnamed (officially) vascular condition affecting my left lower extremity and including my left hip, genitals, lower back, kidneys etc.. I finally got in to see Dr. Driscoll at the Mayo Clinic and he diagnosed what I thought to be KT Syndrome as Servelle Martorell Syndrome. And after many years of being told that amputation was my best course of action but that no doctor was qualified to do so unless it meant saving my life in an emergency situation, Dr. Driscoll, Dr. Sim and Dr. Gloviczki agreed to do it. My amputation date is set for June 23rd 2010. Believe it or not, I AM looking forward to it.

My fear though is that my insurance company will not approve me for the c-leg and instead will only approve me for a more traditional leg whereas I truly do need the versatility and control that a c-leg can offer. I have Aetna and their policy specifically states that as long as the amputee is otherwise healthy and active and who'd daily activity level warrants such a device it would be approved. However there is an "unless" mentioned at the end of their policy that reads something like "unless the amputation is a result of a vascular condition" - Well there is the kicker huh?

You see, I am "otherwise healthy and active" I am turning 27 in June, I have 3 children whom I care for almost solely because my husband is in Iraq and will be there until next December as a contractor. Even after he returns he travels several times a year for up to 6 weeks at a time. Our children are currently 1, 3 and 5. Prior to my most recent injury I enjoyed rollerblading and dancing as well as riding bikes. I'd love to teach my children all 3 of those things. I also have 2 dogs I spend a good bit of time playing in the yard with and I have a long driveway with steep incline which another type of prostheses might not be able to handle. Not to mention I live on an acre with a very uneven backyard and a 45 lb tortoise I have to carry to a shed on cool evenings. - Needless to say, I REALLY need that c-leg. I am terrified that Aetna will not approve me for it based on this vascular stipulation.

I am hoping someone here will have some advice for me or have Aetna and can give me hope in the form of experience with Aetna approving their c-leg.

I hope to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail essarybunch@gmail.com

Thank You!

Laura
Old 03-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Administrator

I replied to you on another thread.

Hi and welcome!

Missy