Facial Hemangioma-continue treatment or surgery - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

   VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 PM
shanarama shanarama is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Default Facial Hemangioma-continue treatment or surgery

My daughter is 7 1/2 months old and has 3 different kinds of hemangiomas, 1 tiny one on her back, 1 on her hip and 1 large one on her forehead. We sought the help of a dermatologist when she was 10 weeks old because the one on her forehead was huge. Luckily I knew exactly what it was because a good friend's daughter had one in the same spot and it did eventually go away. The dermatologist was not concerned in the least about any of them but because of the rapid growth of the one on her head, we opted for treatments because of the possible damage to the skin by it's stretching. She was started on propranolol and monitored very closely because of her young age and she did beautifully so we've stuck with it. It has shrunk considerably and is getting pretty close to being flat but it's still quite red. At our recent appt, the dr. decided to try timolol also to try to get the redness to subside. He mentioned that some parents opt to just do surgery. At first I was not ready to think about it because she's been fine on the medication and it doesn't bother any of us at all. I am worried that if we stopped the medication, it'll come back. We have another follow up from being on the timolol in 5 weeks and I'd like to collect as much info as possible regarding surgery. The nearest hospital that offers laser treatments that would penetrate deep enough is in Houston so not sure if that would be a starting point before surgery. After thinking that I didn't want to do surgery, I wondered if it would be better than continuing to pump my baby girl full of medicine every day. She's on 2.8mL propranolol 2x a day and the timolol 2 x a day. We tried the steroid for 2 days and all of us were miserable so we quit using it.

Here is a picture of her at 7 1/2 months old.


Thanks for any help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 562.jpg (22.1 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 PM
missy missy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,727
Default

Hi and welcome!

I'm going to let other parents that have experience with those two drugs answer. I will just say that it's a personal decision and I don't believe at this time that there is a right decision or a wrong decision.

Either way... she's a cutie patootie!

Missy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM
islabean islabean is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Default

I am new to the world of hemangiomas so I can't offer you any advice, but I do have a question for you. Did your doctor ever say anything to you about having an ultrasound done to check for internal hemangiomas because she has multiple ones? My daughter has similar ones as yours - 1 on her back, 2 tiny ones on a finger, and 1about the same size as your picture on the top of her head (all congenital ones). My family doctor never said anything about an ultrasound but I'm not sure if that's because he's unaware that internal ones could be present, or if its because she has such a mild case that its not a concern.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-01-2011, 03:33 PM
shanarama shanarama is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks for the reply Missy and thank you, I think she's pretty cute too!

@islabean - I asked the doc at our last appt about that and he said that even though she had multiple ones on the outside, the likelihood of more internal would be greater if she had 5 on the outside.

Here's also a picture of what it looked like before we started treating it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h.jpg (19.5 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 AM
KatieG KatieG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 143
Default

My daughter had hers removed at 4.5 months (scalp hemangioma) so if you have any questions in regards to that I would be happy to answer!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 AM
shanarama shanarama is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Default

Would you do it again? How has the recovery been? Did it come back or does it look like it was never even there? My daughter's is about 1" x 3/4" so I'm worried about the type of incision or scar to bring that much skin together.

Thank you for answering my questions. If you think of others that I should ask the doc, please let me know.

Thanks~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2011, 01:36 PM
KatieG KatieG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanarama View Post
Would you do it again? How has the recovery been? Did it come back or does it look like it was never even there? My daughter's is about 1" x 3/4" so I'm worried about the type of incision or scar to bring that much skin together.

Thank you for answering my questions. If you think of others that I should ask the doc, please let me know.

Thanks~
I would do it again in a heartbeat. Her recovery was easy and quick and her hair now covers the scar. You would NEVER know she had something the size of a golf ball on the top of her head.

If you email me I can show you pics.

katiegalvin02@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM
carley09 carley09 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Have you considered laser treatments. My daughter has a hemi above lip! She was on propranalol for 1st year of her life! Started laser treatments at 13 months, 4 so far, have seen success with it fading the red! Talk to Dr Geronemus on VBF! He will point you in right direction!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2011, 03:07 AM
shannonhinz shannonhinz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Default

My daughter also had a scalp hemangioma recently removed. We are really happy with the outcome. Recovery was quick and easy and her scar is healing so well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Stefany Stefany is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Default

I have 2 daughters with multiple hemangiomas, my youngest's (6mths old) are on her forehead and scalp. We saw an expert (Dr Wagner) on Friday and the recommendations were to start propanol to stop further growth and reduce their size then consider laser therapy if veins/redness remains (she's thinking 1-2 sessions more than likely will do it). It looks like the propanol has been very successful on your daughter, you could be able to avoid surgery by continuing it until the growing/evolution stage (think this is around 12mth or so? not sure though) is over then consider laser therapy if required (if you think Timolol isn't doing anything discuss taking her off it so it's less drugs going in her system). What I think you should consider is which option would give the best end result and discuss this with an expert - surgery would leave a permament scar, would propanol or laser leave less markings? This will really depend on each hemangioma; for example my older daughter (3yrs old) will be having surgery on the hemangioma on her arm (then laser too as the Dr. just wants to remove the very damaged section and laser should take care of the rest- to avoid taking too much skin off), the tissue damage is too great to be resolved with just laser and a surgery scar will be less noticeable than leaving it damaged as it is. However if she had been on propanol back during the hemangioma's growth we might have been able to avoid this.
However it's a very personal decision; this is just my point of view - you have to do what feels right for you. Maybe see another expert for a second opinion? Best of luck!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump