daughter scheduled for surgery with dr waner in two weeks - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM

Default daughter scheduled for surgery with dr waner in two weeks

hi, my daughter is scheduled to have her hemangioma removed with dr waner in two weeks.. she has two.. one below the surface by the back of her shoulder.. he said to leave that one alone... the other is on her forehead and ulcerated in january and then doubled in size (ulcerated for a period of 4 weeks).. that is when we went to see dr waner.. i am not a big fan of surgery as it scares me to death the general anesthesia, etc.. i am scared.. anyways, he said the hemangioma on her forehead was deep and she was no longer a candidate for laser or meds.. that surgery was her best option.. i guess i am scared bc this is not what i planned for...
1) has anyone worked with dr waner? do they feel he pushes surgery?
2) is he the best doctor as ppl claim he is?
3) how is the surgery, drain, recovery period? does anyone have pics to share? 4) my daughter sleeps on her forehead so i am worried about her sleeping and rubbing stiches/scabbing and scarring worse.. any advice?

i am just really worried.. also it appears that in the last month the hemagioma has gotten smaller.. mostly the part underneath.. the pink part still about the same size..

any advice would be appreciated.. thanks in advance!
-gilana
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 PM

i should mention the surgery is scheduled for a few days after her 1st bday
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Hi!

I have never gotten the impression that Dr. Waner EVER pushed for surgery ... every single thing I have heard about him shows that he does do what is best for each patient, based on their circumstances.

He is, without a doubt, an expert. No question there.

Other parents will post about post surigcal concerns soon.

When a child that young is put under general aenesthesia, usually the doctor stays with that child the whole time (with an adult, they don't always stay in the operating room). Every time my son has been put under, he has woken up crying inconsolably. He was fine, mind you ... just angry! LOL !!

Missy
Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 AM

hi missy thanks for your response, was your son in pain afterwards??? did he eat after and wake up hungry? how long did it take before you left the hospital?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilana View Post
hi missy thanks for your response, was your son in pain afterwards??? did he eat after and wake up hungry? how long did it take before you left the hospital?
My apologies. I should have been more clear. My son was never treated for a birthmark. My comments were about the anesthesia only.

Missy
Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 AM

1) has anyone worked with dr waner? do they feel he pushes surgery? My daughter had her scalp hemangioma removed by him in September. I do not feel he pushed surgery. He told us our options and we chose to have it removed.
2) is he the best doctor as ppl claim he is? YES. We had amazing results.
3) how is the surgery, drain, recovery period? does anyone have pics to share? Surgery was about an hour. Once she was out of the anesthesia she was totally normal. The drain was a little gross but she was younger so she didn't try to pull it out. I am guessing at age 1 it will be a little harder.

4) my daughter sleeps on her forehead so i am worried about her sleeping and rubbing stiches/scabbing and scarring worse.. any advice? He will probably use dermabond on top of the stitches to protect them. There was no way my daughter could have gotten to them under that.

If you want to email me I can send you a link to my blog with before and after pics. When is your daughter turning one? Mine will be one on April 14th. Seriously he is awesome. Looking at my daughter you would never know she had a golf ball sized tumor on her head!

My email is Katiegalvin02@yahoo.com. Are you in NY?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 AM

katie i am emailing you... crazy.. my daughter wil be one on april 15th! actually i have two daughters (twins)
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 AM

Hi Gilana!
I was wondering how you have been doing! I can definitely understand how you feel about the surgery thing...I agonized about it with my daughter. The anxiety for me was really difficult. My daughter did awesome though. We were able to be with her right up to the surgery...I actually got to go with her into the OR while she went to sleep. They didn't do anything painful while she was awake. She woke up great...had a bit to drink and they sent us on our way. She didn't get sick at all from the anesthesia. It was hard for her afterwards because she couldn't eat, but that's because it was on her lip, which will be different for you guys. Everything healed pretty quickly too. Here's a link to our album if you want to see it. (Sorry, I can't remember if I already sent it to you??)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=a18fd285c7

There's some pictures from her surgery experience and her recent laser. It is so good to have it all behind us after years of anticipation. I would trust Dr. Waner....if she would have to have it eventually it is probably so much better to have it done now. She won't even remember it. Of course, it is always your decision...like my pediatrician would tell us..you can't really make a right or wrong decision on this one...you're just doing what you think is best. Keep us posted. Let us know how everything goes.

Shannon
Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 AM

My daughter had a scalp hemangioma that we had surgically removed last month with Dr. Levitin. We debated long and hard about it, but I really feel we made the right decision. The surgery was about 1.5 hours long, she came out of anethesthia a little cranky, but I held her for awhile and she feel asleep for about an hour and then took a bottle of sugar water and then a bottle of formula and we were on our way after about 2 hours in the post op recovery room. She was a little off that night but was back to her normal self the next day. She had dissolvable stitches and no drain. Like I said, couldn't be happier, he head looks so good now. Scar is so minimal.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 PM

thanks guys... so the surgery is monday,,, i am sooooooooooooooo nervous.. any tips on what top bring?what type of clothing? is she naked during surgery shoudl i bring her layers? do i bring herbottle for the sugar water and another formula bottle for afterwards? what did you guys bring with you??? blanket?

thanks!