Im so glad I found this site! - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Youth and Teen Support

Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 AM

Smile Im so glad I found this site!

I was born with an "Angel kiss" or stork bite on my forehead and down my cheek. I've always had self esteem issues with it, I feel kind of crazy because there are so many people that have it worse than me. I have always had bangs to cover most of it, there was a point a few years back when I didn't have bangs but I covered it with makeup. I constantly feel the need to make sure that my bangs are covering it. I've been teased about it quite a bit mostly during middle school(when I didn't have bangs) and right now being in my senior year of HS I'm still very self conscience about it, and only my family and close friends know I have it. I wish I could have just an ounce of confidence you guys on here have. I may get lazer treatment later this year, do you guys have any positive experience with using laser treatment? The dermatoligist sp? Said that he would have to use a low grade laser, because the birthmark is in such a sensitive area ( it starts at my cheek, kinda rosecha looking, then it goes up in between my eyebrows and straight up. ) the best description I can give on the coloring, it looks like I hit my head on something, or slept on my forehead. They also said that they will have to put me.to sleep. Is this common?or should I seek a 2nd opinion. The dermatoligist is a pediactric plastic surgeon, the only one in my state. It feels so good to talk to you guys, it feels like a weight lifted off of my chest... Ps. Do you guys have any tips on how to become more self confident? Thank you guys so much.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Hi, Welcome to the VBF site. I don't have the same condition as you do, so I don't have experience with laser treatments. I'm afraid I am not of much help there, but what I wanted to add in some input. Self-confidence comes with acceptance of your condition. That may take some time and everyone gets there at a different pace. I have a Lymphatic Malformation, in which I have had several surgeries for, leaving me with massive scars on my body. I have a 9 inch scar that runs down my thigh. It's not the most "pretty" thing to look at, but I honestly don't care about what others think about it. It is part of who I am and has helped mold me into the person I am today. It took my a while to get to this point(you can look at my old posts of when I struggled with it). All I can say is that we typically are our own worst critic. When you think that most will judge you for it, that is usually not the case. Keep your head up and smile.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 PM

I too am glad that I have found this site.
I am 17, and at birth I was presented with a Port Wine Stain on my arm, starting at just above my wrist and ending to my upper arm. I have been bullied all my life about it, name calling and sometimes i have things throne at me. I felt insecure and different.
I overcame this problem and looked at the bigger picture, I am who I am, nobody can change me. I have had no treatment for It yet. but I am thinking about it.
I am so glad that there is awareness about Vascular Birthmarks, for the whole human race needs to have some sort of knowledge about them.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 AM

I would give ANYTHING! for it to be gone. message me and maybe we can figure out how to get thru our self conciousness together.