pregnancy when having port wine stain? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 09-16-2004, 10:07 AM
anti

Default pregnancy when having port wine stain?

I am 28 and have port wine stain on the right cheek and neck. I had 16 laser treatments, with great improvement but not the expected ones. What are the complication with pregnancy?? I really want to have a child but do not know anything on this area.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Jackson03

Default Re:pregnancy when having port wine stain?

From what I know, PWS's are not hereditary. My cousin has a very large PWS on the right side of her face. None of her three kids have any. My husband and I don't have any but my son has one on his bottom and upper thigh. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about them. I am sure growing up with one was difficult. But its very unlikely your child will have one, and even if they did, treatments are so much better than they were when you were a child.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:20 AM

Default Is there any complication of your son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson03 View Post
From what I know, PWS's are not hereditary. My cousin has a very large PWS on the right side of her face. None of her three kids have any. My husband and I don't have any but my son has one on his bottom and upper thigh. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about them. I am sure growing up with one was difficult. But its very unlikely your child will have one, and even if they did, treatments are so much better than they were when you were a child.
Hi, Jackson. Is there any complication of your son? Or it's just PWS?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:59 AM
anti

Hello Jackson03
and thanks for replying to me.
I know that PWS's are not hereditary but there will be always this worry on the back of my mind. I'm also worrying whether laser has any side effect on this matter.

Thanks anyway,

Anti
Old 09-28-2004, 06:59 AM
anti

Hello Jackson03
and thanks for replying to me.
I know that PWS's are not hereditary but there will be always this worry on the back of my mind. I'm also worrying whether laser has any side effect on this matter.

Thanks anyway,

Anti
Old 09-28-2004, 12:12 PM
alexasmommy

Hi. I am not speaking from personal experience but I have heard of woman with a PWS stating that during pregnancy it did appear to get darker etc. The hormone's during pregnancy did seem to cause darkening, increase in blebs etc. in some but not everyone. Some have said that they saw no noticeable change during their pregnancy.
If this is a concern before you decide to become pregnant, ask your doctor. Please make sure that they are familiar with Vascular Malformations....
good luck
Elena
Old 09-28-2004, 03:54 PM

Linda Shannon has a lot of good information on this subject. you can email her at hvbf@aol.com
Old 09-29-2004, 09:19 AM
anti

Hi Elena,
thank you for replying. I heard this from another woman too, and yes, this was due to hormones. this happens to me during period.
Thanks,
Anti
Old 09-29-2004, 09:21 AM
anti

thank you nickbar.
I will email her.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:17 AM
angelwings

Hi. I have portwine stain on my cheek and nose. I have had three daughters and all are birth defect free. I do not have medical knowledge of this, but from personal experiecne I think it is okay to have children.