My pretty uneventful story - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Living with a birthmark - my story

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 PM
jaja

Default My pretty uneventful story

Hi everyone,

I have a pink birthmark on my forehead, slightly off centre and in the shape of a V. It starts at my hairline and goes down to just above my eyebrows.

I don't really know how I feel about this. As a kid, I always had a fringe covering it, and i think this was my parents choice. When I was about 12, I wanted a different haircut, so I grew out my fringe. I got a bit of teasing and that hurt my feelings but it wasn't that bad.

Then I started at a girls high school and I didn't really know anyone. I made friends, but you can't help but feel judged can you?
There were still a lot of people who didn't really talk to me, and I sort of felt like a freak for having it. When I was 15 I started to wear makeup on it sometimes, mainly around boys, and by the time I was 16 I was covering it up everytime I went out. When I was 17 I got my fringe back. It was purely for the reason of covering it up, and I hoped it would suit me.

I'm 18 and at uni now, and living in a hostel, and I feel far less judged with it covered, but I'm still paranoid about it, I just don't want to be judged by it.

I know someone who had a much bigger and darker PWS than me and has had it removed, and my doctor has mentioned it to me. My parents seem to think I'm happy how I am, but I don't really know. I worry about what people think too much, and I feel happier with it covered. Gah! I don't know.
I'm just lucky its so mild.