Eye protection for kids during PDL treatment - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 08-09-2006, 04:26 PM
hkgn

Default Eye protection for kids during PDL treatment

My daughter just underwent her first Pulsed-Dye Laser treatment for a PWS on her forearm. (Still waiting to see the results!) The most traumatic part of the treatment seemed to be lying on the table with her head held by the nurse with the nurse's thumbs firmly holding her eyelids closed. Meanwhile, the nurse, doctor and I all wore goggles. I was told that they don't make protective eyewear small enough for children. Is this procedure typical? I'd be happy to purchase a set of goggles for my daughter to wear (and for the doctor's office) if it would make her more comfortable during the procedure. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
--Holly in Connecticut
Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 PM

Yes, they've used the "tanning" goggles on my son (he was just an infant...but under g.a.)... they are very small and would fit a child. The other option is the protective contacts (my son had this when laser was done on his eyelid). It just is a matter of your doctor looking into these options. Or you might have to be the one that pushes it.

GOOD LUCK...keep us posted on the laser results

Corinne
Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 PM
sweden

I also have had treatment with eye protection.
My PWS is also on the bottom lid of my eye. The doctor would continue the treatment as near as possible to the eye lid. I was given small plastic eye blockers to set over the eyes. I was able to protect my eyes without the use of large goggles and is much more pleasent than having a nurse holding them shut with such applied pressure with fingers or thumb. it must have benn a negative experience for your daughter. Perhaps you could find something at the pharmacy and take it with you for the next treatment and surely the doctor will see the benefits.

//Sweden
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 PM
hkgn

Thank you for your quick replies and suggestions. I forgot to mention that my daughter is just two, so I imagine that tanning goggles or shields might still have to be held over her eyes somehow (or her hands might have to be held down or her face held to keep her from tossing them off). I guess I was wondering about something with a strap. Are the tanning goggles safe enough for laser, or are you also supposed to keep your eyes closed? I'm wondering since she can't follow instructions like that yet.
Thanks again for all input!
--Holly
Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 AM

When they did test spots on my son they used the "tanning goggles" and he was only 4 months old....I don't recall having to hold the googles...but I held his head and the nurses held his arms. I wonder if they can be taped to the sides? I'd ask the doctor about the idea before the appt.

GOOD LUCK

Corinne
Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 AM

They use some time of goggles on my 7 month old, I think it is actually really thick gauze, cut out in the shape of goggles? I've only watched one of four treatments and I left after the first few zaps, so I can't be sure. They are so incredibly gentle with him though.