Removal Surgery at 4 years - UK or USA - pls help? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

   VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 08-19-2007, 08:28 PM
lynnmmoir lynnmmoir is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Posts: 3
Default Removal Surgery at 4 years - UK or USA - pls help?

Hi
My daughter Abbey has a compound hemangioma on her left cheek. It was Visible at birth and proliferated during the first year. Here in the UK they opt for the wait and see approach and we went along with that until we started to do more reading. She is now 4 years old and involution has been so slow, we are considering surgery before she starts school on 12 months time.

I have had several consultation with our local plastic surgeon who is firmly against surgery. We are seeking a second opinion. However, we have been in touch with Dr Levitin and Dr Reinisch by email, both are firmly of the opinion that Abbey's H will never go away enough that surgery can be avoided and strongly feel she would benefit from surgery before school.

We are starting to come round to this view point too but are keen to hear from anyone in the UK to find out if there are any surgeon's as skilled as Dr Reineisch, Waner/Levitin in the UK who I could feel confident about undertaking the surgery?

Also why is there such a divide between attitudes in UK and US? I am not sure who's advice to trust ?

Has anyone else had the same experience here in the UK that they have left the hemangioma this late and now not sure they made the right decision?

Also has anyone from the UK gone to the states and if so what was the experience like?

Hope to hear from anyone with advice or comments to help us make this very difficult decision - whether to do surgery and whether to go to US ?

Many thanks Lynn
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Successful nasal hemangioma removal la4mara Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 5 06-29-2011 05:06 AM
Cost of H removal? macyharper Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 9 03-16-2009 01:49 AM
Surgery scheduled...YAY! macyharper Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 3 11-27-2008 12:15 AM
Can't find a doctor to recommend surgery Imnay2 Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 1 01-29-2008 02:26 AM
Surgery or No surgery? mom2KandK AVM Help and Resources 3 05-16-2004 11:12 PM