What should we do??? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-11-2008, 03:39 PM

Default What should we do???

Has anyone done a laser for a child @ 5 months w/out general anasticia???

Thanks
Marina
Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 PM

We have. Valentina wasn't 5 months old, I think she was 6 or 7. She had a few laser sessions in her eyelid/eyebrow hemangioma without anesthesia. she did fine. They used numbing cream on the area about 20 minutes before the procedure and held her down during the actual laser. She was upset that she was being held down but the laser itself lasted about 10 secs. I didn't want her to be put under GA for a 10 secs procedure.... I know for larger hemangiomas that require longre sessions it is sometimes necessary.
She cried afterward for about 2 minutes and then was perfectly fine.
Good luck
another Marina
Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 PM

i think it all depends on how you feel about your child being held down and how it would affect them for the next procedure. children remember no matter how young they are. my 7 month old went under with gas for less than 5 min. i would have much rather her been under and comfortable than to have someone hold her down and screaming. imagine how scary that must be for a child that age.

Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Thanks guys. Well we have done her first 2 lasers w/out the GA and sha was fine cried for about 2 sec and once she had her bottle she was ok. The 3rd time the dr decided to use GA it was hell she cried for about an hour after and on the way home. She needs 1 or 2 more and I really don't want to put her under GA for a 10 seconds procedure.. So I think I am going to ask Dr. Waner if we don't put her under it this time I hope he agrees...
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariella View Post
Thanks guys. Well we have done her first 2 lasers w/out the GA and sha was fine cried for about 2 sec and once she had her bottle she was ok. The 3rd time the dr decided to use GA it was hell she cried for about an hour after and on the way home. She needs 1 or 2 more and I really don't want to put her under GA for a 10 seconds procedure.. So I think I am going to ask Dr. Waner if we don't put her under it this time I hope he agrees...
My son Lucas had a laser surgery 2 weeks ago at 3 month to help his ulcerated H to heal and the doctor used the mask to put him under. Everything seemed to be pain-free to him and he only cried for 10 minutes afterwards, mostly because he was hungry. Maybe you can ask if it will be an option?! Good luck!!