Laser Success - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 AM

Default Laser Success

My daughter Harper developed a hemangioma on her septum when she was three weeks old. We were told by our pediatrician that we should leave it alone and it would go away on its own. One night while watching Discovery Health we saw a show about Dr. Waner and decided that we should get a second opinion. We found VBF's website, which is truly remarkable, and found that Dr. Geronemous, who is recommended on the website, had an office in NYC and that he took our insurance. We only had to pay co-pays at every visit. This was such a huge blessing because we couldn't have afforded the over $700 bill at each visit. We had our first appointment when Harper was four months old. I was extremely nervous and had no idea what to expect. I asked Dr. Geronemous what he would do if Harper were his daughter and his response was that if Harper was his daughter he would have started laser treatment already. So, on that visit Harper had her first laser treatment. A week later her nose looked so terrible and we wondered if we had made the right decision. However, after the scab fell off it began to look better. We continued to go to Dr. Geronemous' office every three weeks, then every four weeks and then every six weeks until Harper was ten months old. We saw almost every doctor in the practice and they were all wonderful. The staff treated us as if we were family and made every visit so much less painful. Their kindness and the way that they played with our daughter eased a difficult situation. They explained that the laser feels as if someone snapped a rubberband on the affected area. We are grateful that Harper will not remember the treatments any more than she will remember the shots that she has to get at her well check ups. When the treatments were done at ten months old we were ecstatic with the results, her hemangioma was barely visible. Now, Harper is 19 months old and no one even knows that she had a hemangioma. We are so glad that we learned about VBF and we feel that we definitely made the right decision for our daughter. I have attached photos of Harper before treatment, during treatment and a recent photo of her. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me. I remember, as if it were yesterday, the worry, the fear and the millions of questions that I had when I learned my daughter had a hemangioma. My email address is kimberlyecanonico@hotmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5602%20II.jpg (28.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5810.jpg (29.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6419 II.jpg (29.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6933 II.jpg (28.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0495.jpg (65.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Thank you so much for writing in and for the photos!! Lovely, they are!

It always helps other parents to be able to read about families' experiences!

Missy
Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 AM

Wow, it looks great! My daughter's h looks very similar to your daughter's but it is on top of her nose. She is 7 months old and she just had her 2nd treatment and we are really seeing good results. Thanks for sharing your pics. I can't tell from the photo but is it flat? It appears to be.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 PM

It was a little raised but definitely a superficial hemangioma.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 AM

My son, 6 months old, has one in the very some place. His is compound and will require surgery, but he has had one laser treatment and I can already tell a difference. It's good to hear that you had such good results and your daughter is adorable.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 AM

She is adorable! And that is awesome! You really can't tell she ever had one!
My daughter Brenna was born with only the cavernous hemangioma on her left thigh. But soon wound up with 2 superficial ones as well. We are happy that it is involuting nicely with no complications! And thankfully she has only ever broken it open once! Scared mom to death, but we made it through!

Here are some pics of her hemangioma's
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...na/bheman1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...na/bheman2.jpg