My son is 3mths old and has 5 Hemangiomas - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Default My son is 3mths old and has 5 Hemangiomas

Hello,
I'm new to the site, but have found so much info on here!! Thanks so much for such a great place to share stories and info!

My son, Hollis, was born with 3 H, one on his scalp and two on his stomach. We were told that they were no big deal and would go away on their own. At 4 weeks, we noticed a purple-ish spot between his nostrils and at 5 weeks we noticed a lump in his upper lip. Our Dr then began to get worried. He sent us for an ultrasound of his abdomen, which came back fine, and set us up with a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeon took the "wait and see" approach. I don't think I am comfortable with that approach since the one on m y son's scalp is now about 3 times the size it was and has ulcerated. The PS told me to keep a topical anitbiotic on it and see him again in 3 months. I am so worried with all the staff infections, my husband just got over a staff infection in his knee, that I just don't think it is very safe. Our Ped is sending us to a Ped. Dermatologist on the 18th. I am really thinking that I want to push for removal since it is causing my son so much pain. I just don't know if that is the right thing to do or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (43.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Hemangioma on nose and upper lip.jpg (34.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Hemangioma 2 stomach.jpg (32.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Hemangioma 1 stomach.jpg (28.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 PM

i know this is a little delayed, but have you found treatment for your son? they say that if a child has three or more h's that they do an ultrasound to see if there are any internal ones. i know how frustrating it can be with two, i couldnt imagine dealing with 5! hope everything is going well. i would check into seeing if there is a local pediatric hemotologist in your area, not a dermatologist.

Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball
Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 AM

We just got back from a laser treatment with Dr Buckmiller at ACH. She did the laser treatment on 4 of his now 7 hemangiomas. We go back for another treatment at the end of July and then again for the excision in Feb. It is so great to finally have a plan of action and a light at the end of the tunnel. One thing that I can say that is really great is that now my Ped is waaaay more educated, thanks to me, on hemangiomas.lol He now knows that there is something other than a wait and see approach to treating them.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:59 PM

do you have any after photos of the treatments?

Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball
Old 05-14-2008, 07:36 PM

After Hollis was 3 months old, you saw 2 more hemangiomas appear? Yikes - I thought you would have been out of the woods on new ones by that age. Anyone know how long they can keep showing up for?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam's Mom View Post
After Hollis was 3 months old, you saw 2 more hemangiomas appear? Yikes - I thought you would have been out of the woods on new ones by that age. Anyone know how long they can keep showing up for?
Dr Buckmiller told us that he probably always had them, but we didn't notice them until they got a little bigger. One was on his back kinda in a fat roll and it was a deep one, so we didn't notice it until it grew a little more. The other was in his mouth right below where his top and bottom lip meet. I would probably never have noticed that one if he hadn't hava had his finger in his mouth pulling his lip down. She said he isn't likely to have anymore. Fingers crossed!!
Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 AM

Here is an after pic of the one on his nose. I will try to post some others in the morning when he wakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3303.JPG (16.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3280.JPG (16.0 KB, 30 views)