Treatment in a week or two - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 AM

Default Treatment in a week or two

Hi, I have posted on here a few times about my daughter Avery's hemangioma's (she has 3) We went to see Dr Levitin and Dr Waner today. 6 weeks ago they told me that her H was too small for treatment. Today they said they feel she should have a steroid injection in her upper lip. If I dont get the steroid treatment now, he feels she will end up having to have surgery in a few months. Dr Levitin said that while she is under the anesthesia they could laser her other 2 others as well (they are both pretty small) He said she should have this done in a week or two from now (that suprised me!). I am very nervous! I know there are children on here that go through much worse, but Im still really scared. I 100% trust the Dr's though. Anyone have experience with steroid injections? Her H is under the skin and is a slight blue/purple tint. I forgot to ask if the injection will help the color. He said there is a chance the laser can flatten the H. Tomorrow I have to deal with all the insurance stuff. They told me at the office, the injection is $500, the anesthesia is 1500, the lasers are 4k each!!!!!! I have bcbs Personal Choice. They told me I have an out of pocket max of 1000, so hopefully they dont fight me on this! Anyone have the same insurance? Thanks so much for any help or advice!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:57 PM

Just wanted to offer support and best wishes. Avery is in good hands. Have you talked with Sonja in Dr. W's office? One tip that can help you win approval is to have Dr. Waner put the comments in writting about the need for surgery (more expensive/risk) down the road if you don't have the tx. now. SAVING your insurance co. money.

It is normal to feel worried and anxious about tx. ...hang in there.

Corinne
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 PM

Thank you for the support! Everything went well and only took about 15 minutes. She did fine with the anesthesia. So far, her lip went down a tiny bit and her other 2 h's are very black/purple but they said that is normal. She was just diagnosed with another H on her back, so now the total is 5. I was so suprised to find another one since she is 6 months old, but the Dr said it was probably there all along but it wasnt big enough to notice till now. She goes back in 3 weeks for a check up.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharris18 View Post
Thank you for the support! Everything went well and only took about 15 minutes. She did fine with the anesthesia. So far, her lip went down a tiny bit and her other 2 h's are very black/purple but they said that is normal. She was just diagnosed with another H on her back, so now the total is 5. I was so suprised to find another one since she is 6 months old, but the Dr said it was probably there all along but it wasnt big enough to notice till now. She goes back in 3 weeks for a check up.
It's good to hear that everything went well. It is suprising to find other hemangiomas when you think you are in the clear. My son had 5 and at 6 months old we found 2 more. One on his back, close to his shoulder blade and the other was in his mouth on his left cheek. I'm crossing my fingers that this is it. 7 is plenty for me.